jmenglish27

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Hi all,

I have four Sony BDPs in the house. Two s590s, an s3100 and an s3200. And ive had a 2tb Toshiba Canvio, NTFS formatted, that ive been using with them for years.

Well, my HDD is failing. So i went out and got a 2TB WD drive.

I cannot get this thing to work. Unrecognized when formatted NTFS. Unrecognized as FAT32.

Have tried multiple reformats...no luck.

Any ideas?? Id like to get whats not corrupted on the old drive moved over before it fails completely. Any help would be truly appreciated.

And if the Sony players are just troublesome, as I suspect is the case and that I just got lucky the first time around - can you recommend a player on the market now that is HDD friendly? I'd love to upgrade to maybe a 4TB drive in the future, but I know the Sonys dont like those.

Solution
In case anyone comes across a similar problem...I'm not sure what exactly solved the problem, but it's solved. I returned the WD drive in favor of another Toshiba, same model. Verified the Toshiba was MBR partitioned and NTFS formatted. And it worked.

I'm guessing the partitioning was the issue.
The other potential difference is, a HD can have MBR or GPT partitions. A reason for the newer GPT partition type is to deal with drives >2TB, which in this case doesn't affects you. My wager is, your BDP are still expecting to see the ole MBR partition. Google to get procedure how to partition for MBR.

jmenglish27

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

Interesting...is there a way that I can check to see if my current/old drive is MBR, just to be sure?

jmenglish27

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
In case anyone comes across a similar problem...I'm not sure what exactly solved the problem, but it's solved. I returned the WD drive in favor of another Toshiba, same model. Verified the Toshiba was MBR partitioned and NTFS formatted. And it worked.

I'm guessing the partitioning was the issue.

Solution