Solved! HDMI connection between notebook and TV

friends.cwl

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
This seems to have been a problem for many over the last few years and I have read and tried many suggestions without success. It all seems so straightforward: brand new good quality HDMI cable connecting HP pavilion g6 notebook (Windows 10, 64) to Samsung LE37R8 TV. Turn on TV first then turn on Notebook. Cable detected on HDMI-1 but 'No Signal' or (sometimes) 'Mode Not Supported'. Checked Display Settings but 'no other monitor detected'. (Tried HDMI-2 and -3 as well with same result) Am I missing some obvious step?

Solution
Try booting the laptop first then selecting that HDMI input on the TV. The order matters. It might take 10 seconds for them to "handshake".
Try a different HDMI cable. The "handshake" depends on the laptop, HDMI cable, and HDMI input on the TV to all meet the HDMI standard. If one or more doesn't then a different cable or HDMI input on the TV might make a difference.
Also make sure that the laptop video resolution is not set too high for the TV.
Try booting the laptop first then selecting that HDMI input on the TV. The order matters. It might take 10 seconds for them to "handshake".
Try a different HDMI cable. The "handshake" depends on the laptop, HDMI cable, and HDMI input on the TV to all meet the HDMI standard. If one or more doesn't then a different cable or HDMI input on the TV might make a difference.
Also make sure that the laptop video resolution is not set too high for the TV.

Solution

friends.cwl

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017

friends.cwl

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017

Thanks for that. I did try booting the laptop first, also all the HDMI inputs on the TV and I have checked that the resolutions match. As for the cable, I chose one with a high spec and which seems stout enough to have all wires connected. Without any clear guidance as to what to look for specifically, I am reluctant to buy more but will try to borrow from friends. I tried the notebook and cable with a projector (which I normally use with VGA) and had no more luck than with the TV so I suppose that points at either the cable or my HDMI output on the notebook; I will try other computers. If I ever solve this, I will report back.