Fletch711

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
I recently purchased a new home. My wife wants a TV in the great room on the first floor with absolutely no components.

Problem is the home is two story, but it is raised with ample crawlspace under the floor. My plan was to run rear channel speakers under the hard wood floors along with an HDMI cable to my receiver which will be located in a closet.

The speaker wire should pose no problem, but I'm a little concerned about the ability to obtain 1080p from a distance of 45ft with an HDMI cable. Has anyone done a similar run to this? Does anyone know of the actual limitations of HDMI or should I approach this a different way?

Thanks.

-- Fletch

Solution
around 50ft i think. you might want to use a signal booster.

you might also want to think about how to control your receiver or input devices (tv, dtv, ctv, dvd, etc) as you wont have direct line of sight. after getting up, opening the closet and changing the station a few times it will get old. i know some systems (like directv) have remote receivers on a cable which you can place outside the enclosure to resolve this.

whats wrong with having a piece of furniture in the room serve as a media cabinet? it doesnt need to be placed under the tv. all i'm saying is to give it thought before you continue.
around 50ft i think. you might want to use a signal booster.

you might also want to think about how to control your receiver or input devices (tv, dtv, ctv, dvd, etc) as you wont have direct line of sight. after getting up, opening the closet and changing the station a few times it will get old. i know some systems (like directv) have remote receivers on a cable which you can place outside the enclosure to resolve this.

whats wrong with having a piece of furniture in the room serve as a media cabinet? it doesnt need to be placed under the tv. all i'm saying is to give it thought before you continue.

Solution

Fletch711

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
I agree with you on the furniture issue, but it's a wife argument and I'll never win that one.

I didn't even know HDMI had signal boosters. Thanks for the advice!

so true...

however, you do have room for argument back. tell her every time she wants to change the channel she has to walk to the closet. i'm sure she will listen to reason then.

you can hide the components themselves but generally speaking you want them in the general zone of the tv for convenience. i suppose you could even have them in a coffee table provided you had a floor port under it...

not sure why its a big issue...but i feel your pain...haha

Fletch711

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Follow-up. The 45ft cable worked and it appears I have 1080p. Wife is happy and I have essentially created a small server room in our coat closet. Thanks for the feedback.