Solved! HDMI source not supported on Epson Projector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2019
Hi folks,

Hoping someone can help. There appears to be some knowledgeable people on here.

I have a Yamaha RX-V673 receiver. It has a Amazon Fire TV, android box and PS4 going into HDMI inputs. The HDMI output is linked to a TV.

All works perfectly.

I recently added an Epson EB-W39 HD projector.
The projector is on the opposite side of the room so I ran a 10m HDMI to it.

If I want to watch through projector I do have to reach down the back of the amp and swap over the HDMI to the TV with the 10m HDMI going to the projector. Bit of a pain but easy enough and worth it.

Unfortunately two nights ago it's just stopped working. The sound continues to come through the amp from the input, Fire TV for e.g. , but the projector is just blue screen with an inconsistent message of either 'no signal' or 'not supported'.

I've read up and 99.9% of similar issues appear to be the HDMI board or something similar.

I thought this may have been the cause because I did notice some static / sparks when making contact with the rear of the amp trying to slot the HDMI cable in. However all the other posts seem to lose HDMI output all together. I haven't. If I swap the cables over back to the TV everything works perfectly. It is ONLY when trying to connect to the projector.

I have updated the firmware on both the amp and projector. I have bought new cables.
I have played with all settings I can find for HDMI video resolution and processing but to no avail.
I'm completely at a loss.

I don't want to replace the amp because its working!?!! It's just with the projector.

Im wonder if anyone has a suggestion I haven't thought of??

Many thanks.

Mark

Last edited:
Solution
Check that any video scaling or processing in the receiver is turned off. That's a 1280x800 projector so if the receiver is upscaling video higher than that the projector will do exactly what it is doing. Try changin the video resolution in the sources too. 1280x720 will be the best you can do.
Connect the long HDMI cable directly to one of the sources to see if it works that way. The cable may still be the problem even if it does work. If you can try a short cable from the receiver to the projector that will tell you that maybe you need an HDMI booster amp or a different cable.
Check that any video scaling or processing in the receiver is turned off. That's a 1280x800 projector so if the receiver is upscaling video higher than that the projector will do exactly what it is doing. Try changin the video resolution in the sources too. 1280x720 will be the best you can do.
Connect the long HDMI cable directly to one of the sources to see if it works that way. The cable may still be the problem even if it does work. If you can try a short cable from the receiver to the projector that will tell you that maybe you need an HDMI booster amp or a different cable.

Solution
Mar 1, 2019

Thank you very much for the reply.
Yeah I've tried turning all the processing settings off.
I've also fiddled with the advanced setting on the amp that's designed to adjust to fit the output.

I've tested the cables and they are all working in any other scenario than the one we need!

Because the projector works when I connect it directly to the devices I looked in Amazon and found a HDMI splitter that claimed it sent the signal to two displays at the same time. I thought I'd send one to the projector and one to the amp as an input so I could have surround sound with the projector.

This is the weird bit! - it was unstable again and the projector was randomly flicking between a signal or the 'not supported' and 'no signal'. There was no consistency with these messages and the picture. However after swapping a few of the HDMI (getting rid of the one that actually game with the splitter) it all worked.

I ran the cables properly and set it all up and it's working. Should I need to swap device I will have to swap the cables in the splitter from one to another but at least it works.

I can't think of anything I did that fixed it though other than maybe straightening out the cable. Being systematic about it there was nothing that I did that caused it to start working prior to the splitter and final set up?!

Mystery.

Many thanks for suggestion and help.

HDMI does some weird s**t.
The entire chain of devices and cables all interact. Some will meet or exceed the HDMI standards and some won't so you can get compensation with a specific signal path. That's why there is an enormous difference in the price of HDMI selectors, distribution amps, and cables. A professional installer won't use cheap gear because he can't depend on it. Might work or not and might stop working after a while. Using a PC as a source is a special pain. Sometimes you have to boot the PC after selecting it as the source sometimes not. Then after a while all of a sudden it changes and then goes back to the way it was.

Mar 1, 2019
HDMI does some weird s**t.
The entire chain of devices and cables all interact. Some will meet or exceed the HDMI standards and some won't so you can get compensation with a specific signal path. That's why there is an enormous difference in the price of HDMI selectors, distribution amps, and cables. A professional installer won't use cheap gear because he can't depend on it. Might work or not and might stop working after a while. Using a PC as a source is a special pain. Sometimes you have to boot the PC after selecting it as the source sometimes not. Then after a while all of a sudden it changes and then goes back to the way it was.

Yeah always been suspicious as to whether there was actually a big difference in HDMI quality but I'm starting to believe it.
And from researching yeah it appears they can be really temperamental and unreliable.

Thankfully everything is working at the moment through the splitter but if it should happen again I'll probably look at investing in decent quality cables.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS