Solved! HDTV Antenna into Surround Sound Unit

IVPush

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
The TV tuner on my television is going bad and doesnt display my over the air signal without distortion. Ive been wanting to get a surround sound unit and was wondering if they make them with TV tuners built in. This way I could wire my HD antenna directly into the surround sound unit then out to the TV for display. My current option is to buy a new TV or a ATSC TV Tuner converter. Of course latter is cheaper. But id rather minimize the units and remote controls. If a surround sound amplifier has a tv tuner built in that would be ideal. If so, whats this feature called? Im having trouble searching for such a unit.

Any make or model suggestions that you know of that have this feature?

Solution
I don't think you'll find an AV receiver with built-in TV tuner (there are many units with built-in FM radio tuner). So, external TV tuner is probably your only option (if the problem is with the tuner). There is a good chance the problem is with the antennae / cable / connector, and not with your TV set' tuner.
I don't think you'll find an AV receiver with built-in TV tuner (there are many units with built-in FM radio tuner). So, external TV tuner is probably your only option (if the problem is with the tuner). There is a good chance the problem is with the antennae / cable / connector, and not with your TV set' tuner.

Solution

IVPush

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
Thanks Alabalcho, but that was my thought initially. I have a second television upstairs also connected to the antenna which works perfectly so that rules the antenna out as being the problem. To trouble shoot the cable and connections I grabbed a small spare TV I have and connected it to where the trouble tv is and presto, perfect picture. If I jiggle the antenna connection on the troubled TV I can get a second or so of good picture but then it just goes back to being sketchy. So im 99% sure the problem is the TV. I get a perfect picture through my cable box when its connected via HDMI, so again, that just points to a bad TV antenna connector/tuner connection. Probably a bad connector. I may take the TV apart to see if by some strange change there is a lose solder joint/screw/ground or something. Dont need to replace the TV just for a bad antenna connector.

THanks for the feedback. Ill keep looking, but thus far, I think your right, a single ATSC TV Tuner box is probably the way Im gonna have to go. Kind of surprised no one makes a AV Surround with build in TV tuner, but I guess the demand just isnt there.

If one owns a soldering iron and know how to use, it won't stop him from making a F-Tail, and making the electrical connections somewhere else on the board. Yup the tail will be hanging from the back of the TV but it will work.

Someone recently was stumbled by how to connect his BOSE using their proprietary connector. I go heck, if you are sufficiently motivated, have household tools, take that thing apart and duct tape the wires if u have to!