Solved! Headphones make a high pitch noise only when I plug it into the jack of my main Dell monitor.

Feb 1, 2021
Hey guys I wanted to use my apple earbuds since I don't like using headphones often anymore. When I plug my apple earbuds into my Dell S2716DG (main)it makes a high pitch noise, it doesn't even matter if video is playing like the moment you plug it in it makes the noise. I tried it on my second monitor same brand/model and it didn't have any problems, no ringing at all. I switched HDMI cables and the ringing noise continued and downloaded drivers for it. I even tried different earbuds and still heard the noise so I am postive the problem is not my Apple earbuds. I am out of options and my last resort is switching monitors but I don't want to do that so any suggestions that can possibly fix this high pitch ringing noise? The sound is driving me nuts so I would appreciate any help at all. Please and thank you!

Solution
Maybe something to do with the HDMI cable handling audio instead of the audio going directly to the PC. I had the same problem. Also I don't know why everyone tries to blame the person with some irrelevant point, "Why don't you do the opposite of the thing you did for a probably valid reason just because I said so?"
Not blame, just asking an obvious question to understand why not connected the typical way.

Since the PC produces static, even when connected directly to it. It could be a grounding issue or a loose connection internally.
Feb 1, 2021
Why aren't you plugging directly into your PC/laptop instead of the display?
When I plug it directly into my pc jack it makes a static noise, so I really don't know whats wrong. My pc and monitor are probably around 3-4 years old. i7 7700k, 1070.

Edit: continously has a static noise not just when you plug it in

Feb 18, 2022
Maybe something to do with the HDMI cable handling audio instead of the audio going directly to the PC. I had the same problem. Also I don't know why everyone tries to blame the person with some irrelevant point, "Why don't you do the opposite of the thing you did for a probably valid reason just because I said so?"

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Not blame, just asking an obvious question to understand why not connected the typical way.

Since the PC produces static, even when connected directly to it. It could be a grounding issue or a loose connection internally.

Solution