Help with Mic (NW-800)

TheSpyderX

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
My Problem
So basically, I saw that this mic was a good mic for relatively cheap. Neewer NW-800
It is a condenser mic, so I was confused, some people said you only need a USB external sound card to power it and also have good quality sound, some said you need both a USB external sound card with the phantom power supply to power it and have good quality sound.

My Question is:
What do I actually need, like the bare minimum, to have good quality sound from this mic?

(BTW its a condenser mic, it uses an XLR cable to 3.5mm jack if that helps.)

Solution
while i do not own the mic, a reviewer i like (podcastage) claims he has had decent results with some soundcards or onboard audio if it provides enough voltage. with that said, i would highly suggest getting an audio interface or 48v phantom power adapter if you want to avoid any potential issues. the neewer phantom power adapter for those microphones is only $17. audio interfaces can be had for $50 or under.

with that said, if you plan on spending $41-75 (cost of nw800+ either phantom power or cheap interface) you might want to look at the atr2500 which is a nice usb mic for $75. think of it like the baby brother to the at2020.

TheSpyderX

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014

People say the NW800 can run from 4 volts of phantom power and still sound good, and the usb external sound card provides about 5 volts. Some say it needs full 48volts of power and a usb sound card to sound good, so thats why im confused. And im on a budget so i dont think i can afford a fancy audio interface, or a $60 power supply.
Im asking what I need bare minimum, i knew it needed power, but people are throwing me off, i need a straight answer lol.

while i do not own the mic, a reviewer i like (podcastage) claims he has had decent results with some soundcards or onboard audio if it provides enough voltage. with that said, i would highly suggest getting an audio interface or 48v phantom power adapter if you want to avoid any potential issues. the neewer phantom power adapter for those microphones is only $17. audio interfaces can be had for $50 or under.

with that said, if you plan on spending $41-75 (cost of nw800+ either phantom power or cheap interface) you might want to look at the atr2500 which is a nice usb mic for $75. think of it like the baby brother to the at2020.

Solution