Solved! Help with PS4 on a 2009 Samsung LCD TV

Nov 24, 2020
So I was recently given a Samsung 2009 LCD TV B460 series (model # LN32B460B2D; model code # LN32B460B2DXZA). I’ve only been using it for PS4 and I saw online that some older TV models just don’t work with the PS4. It definitely works, but some things look off. For example, I’m playing Final Fantasy 7 Remake, which is a new game that looks stunning. On my old LCD TV it looked fantastic, but now it looks like a PS2 game. The characters look kind of flat and environments look off and things like hair look pixelated (the big giveaway is that the main character, Cloud has this spiky hair that looks amazing normally, but it’s super grainy/pixelated along the edges on my TV). I’ve tried watching a bunch of things through the PS4 and found that animated shows and games look pretty decent, but live-action shows look iffy when it gets dark. FF7R also is a dark game, which I think is a big reason why I’m having this problem. It often feels like things just aren't in the right resolution. I’ve tried everything (game mode, 1080 p, noise levels, sharpness, firmware update) and it’s just not fixing the problem (Cloud’s hair is still pixelated—that’s the indicator for me). Am I just doomed to have this problem because of my outdated TV? It’s not horrible, but I want to play a PS4 game with it looking like a PS4 game, not a PS2 game. Any suggestions?

Solution
Which old LCD TV did you use before?

This Samsung TV is not a full hd TV, so this might be the thing. The resolution is only 1366x768 (WXGA) @ max. Try setting the resolution of the PS4 to 720p.
test with 1080i as well

Do you use an HDMI cable to connect to the PS4?
Which old LCD TV did you use before?

This Samsung TV is not a full hd TV, so this might be the thing. The resolution is only 1366x768 (WXGA) @ max. Try setting the resolution of the PS4 to 720p.
test with 1080i as well

Do you use an HDMI cable to connect to the PS4?

Solution