Solved! Hi. I have a very similar issue. And have lost nearly all hope. PLEASE HELP!

Dec 7, 2018
In a very similar kind of predicament. I have an old Samsung SGH-E317 clamshell-style cell phone with pictures on it that I'd like to transfer to a computer (MAC or desktop). I've tried lots of things. Purchased a "data-sync cable". Didn't do anything. Took the phone and its SIM card to a CVS pharmacy with a photo department and got nowhere. Tried installing newer SIM cards from other phones in order to temporarily activate it and that didn't work. Contacted Consumer Cellular, Verizon and AT&T to see if I could get the old phone activated/back in service again and they all said "No". Was about to purchase a SIM card reader but read a lot of negative reviews and read that the photos aren't stored on the SIM card anyway. I thought they may have been on the SIM card. Tried all the options I can think of and all the options cellular service providers gave me and am having no luck. Any help/further recommendations would be dearly appreciated. And please give as much detail as possible.

Solution
The phone can connect to a PC even if it has no SIM, WiFi or service at all.

Use a micro USB to USB cable and plug it into a laptop or a PC and it will show up in Windows File Exploer as a drive. Then it's a simple cut and paste exercise.

The photographs will be in a folder named DCIM. Yoou can remove the micro SdCard and buy a carrier to allow it to fit in a computer's SdCard slot. That will also become a drive.
The phone can connect to a PC even if it has no SIM, WiFi or service at all.

Use a micro USB to USB cable and plug it into a laptop or a PC and it will show up in Windows File Exploer as a drive. Then it's a simple cut and paste exercise.

The photographs will be in a folder named DCIM. Yoou can remove the micro SdCard and buy a carrier to allow it to fit in a computer's SdCard slot. That will also become a drive.

Solution
Dec 7, 2018
Thanks for your attempted assistance Saga Lout but I don't believe a Samsung SGH-E317 telephone will accept a Micro USB cable. I wouldn't know where or how to plug it in. It accepts a chargers cable and it accepted a "Data-Sync" cable. The "Data-Sync" cable didn't do anything though. I'm in the midst of returning the aforementioned cable right now. Perhaps I'm wrong about the micro USB cable though. Maybe one would fit it somehow. A link to this sort of cable would be much appreciated. And I'll give the model number once more. The cellular phone I'm having issues with is a Samsung SGH-E317. It also doesn't have a micro SD card. It's an old cell phone.

I've seen a lot of Android phones and own four Samsungs myself over the years and they all use a Micro USB port as their charging port. That said, yours is a flip-phone and a lot of companies used cables other manufacturers didn.t

Here's a link to another e-Bay sale and the port looks familiar but maybe a friend with a smart phone will show you their cable.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Charging-Port-Flex-Cable-Mic-For-AT-T-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-2-II-SGH-i317-V8X3/263292834307?epid=1987064006&hash=item3d4d79d203:g:JIEAAOSwAC1Z-smj:rk:6:pf:0

There is nothing in the manual of the phone about being able to copy the files to a computer or do anything with them aside from email them or send in a picture message. The phone does not have WiFi so no connections can be done that way.

If you found a data sync cable, you can contact that company and check what you need to get it working, but there is nothing in the phone manual about being able to connect it to a computer.

Without getting the cell data service active, whatever is inside that phone is stuck inside it.