Solved! High def sound from Xbox one S to YAS207 to monitor without HDMI arc port

Nov 19, 2018
I plan to purchase an LG32UK550 4K monitor and a YAS207 soundbar and watch UHD dvds via my Xbox one S. I have no need for a television hence why I don't plan on buying a 4K TV. The xbox one S (as far as I'm aware) and the monitor don't have a HDMI arc port. I can't seem to find a monitor with a HDMI arc port.

Is a display, be it monitor or TV, with a HDMI arc port the only way to get high def sound from the xbox via the soundbar? Cnet article I read states toslink can't carry high def sound.

Solution
1. You don't seem to understand the point of ARC.
If you connect your sources to an AV receiver and connect the HDMI output of that to the TV to get picture on the TV you would still need an additional cable to get audio from the TV built in tuner and apps back to the receiver for sound. By using "extra" wires in the HDMI cable ARC eliminates the need for that additional cable. Soundbars have added that connection but it doesn't work or sound any different than the optical connection, ARC in it's current form doesn't support lossless surround sound like Dolby TrueHD. The next version, eARC, will do that.
Monitors never have any internal sources so ARC serves no purpose in a monitor.
2. You would connect the Xbox to the HDMI input on...
1. You don't seem to understand the point of ARC.
If you connect your sources to an AV receiver and connect the HDMI output of that to the TV to get picture on the TV you would still need an additional cable to get audio from the TV built in tuner and apps back to the receiver for sound. By using "extra" wires in the HDMI cable ARC eliminates the need for that additional cable. Soundbars have added that connection but it doesn't work or sound any different than the optical connection, ARC in it's current form doesn't support lossless surround sound like Dolby TrueHD. The next version, eARC, will do that.
Monitors never have any internal sources so ARC serves no purpose in a monitor.
2. You would connect the Xbox to the HDMI input on the soundbar. The soundbar HDMI out goes to the monitor. That connection would support Dolby TrueHD but since that soundbar doesn't support it an optical connection would be just as good.
3. You are going to have to spend a lot more on a soundbar if this is important to you.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/sound-bars/ht-x9000f/specifications
I would suggest you not worry about it since you won't have surround speakers and good enough sound quality in the soundbar to notice the difference. Just get the best sounding soundbar you can afford.

Solution
Nov 19, 2018
Thank you for your reply. Yes I am a novice but think I have a better understanding of ARC. So bottom line with my setup of just xbox, YAS207 and monitor, will I need a toslink to hear any sound at all from the soundbar or is the xbox to the HDMI input on the soundbar alone (no toslink) sufficient? 2. If I want high def sound from the UHDs I need to buy a trueHD soundbar or receiver?

Thank you

You are talking to a generation Twitter. One of them (seriously) asked me what I use my laptop for, implying, don't everybody do their business on the 7" mobile?