Home theater projector for $1,000?

tjensen_25

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Hello, my sister and brother-in-law just moved into a new house with a theater room which they were planning on leaving empty. I thought a nice house warming gift would be a projector so the space isn't wasted. Unfortunately, I know very a little about projectors and need some help. So my question for you is could I get a good projector for right around $1,000 give or take a little and if so, name a few that would be available from a reputable dealer in the U.S. Thank you in advance.

Solution
There are a lot of factors that need to be considered when purchasing a home theater projector. Screen Size, Throw Distance, Ambient light, and video source among others. Without knowing any of these conditions, it's difficult to say which way to go, but given pretty much default conditions, I'd probably recommend, in order:

1) Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350
2) Optoma HD33
3) Optoma HD20

While the Optoma HD20 is the only projector here actually under $1000 (and I'm very happy with mine), I'd really recommend going with the Epson PowerLite 8350 if possible.

You can check out reviews and specifications for each of these at projectorcentral.com.

-Wolf sends
There are a lot of factors that need to be considered when purchasing a home theater projector. Screen Size, Throw Distance, Ambient light, and video source among others. Without knowing any of these conditions, it's difficult to say which way to go, but given pretty much default conditions, I'd probably recommend, in order:

1) Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350
2) Optoma HD33
3) Optoma HD20

While the Optoma HD20 is the only projector here actually under $1000 (and I'm very happy with mine), I'd really recommend going with the Epson PowerLite 8350 if possible.

You can check out reviews and specifications for each of these at projectorcentral.com.

-Wolf sends

Solution

tjensen_25

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Well its just a pretty basic theater room I think. No windows, fairly dim lights around the room and the wall is probably around 10 feet long and 11 ft. high. with the projector mount somewhere between 10 to 15 feet away. For size I was just gonna set it up as big as I could get it for them without sacrificing too much image quality. What's the advantage of the HD33 over the HD20? thanks for your response :)

I really don't suspect there's much difference between the HD20 and the HD33 other than the HD33 supports 3D and is a newer model. Given the size of the display wall, I'd really look at moving the mount to give you at least a 12 foot throw distance, but no more than 15 feet (HD20) or 16 feet (HD33).

-Wolf sends

edwardmm

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Optoma's newer 2D model is HD23, available since at least April 2012. I got one when I was in Madrid last year in April. Technology is pretty much the same as for the HD33 but just without the 3D (https://www.ociohogar.com/products-comparison.php?compare_product_list=853|342|).

Image quality is just great and transitions are smooth. I used to get rainbow effect with my previous projector but HD23 so far is just great.

Edward

LCD projector= poor picture quality, poor reliability, and high maintenance cost, besides lots of fan noise... Buy a big screen instead, skip LCD projectors entirely.
(advice from professional installer)