Solved! how can I record Netflix movies on vcr from digital tv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2019
80 year old parent will only use vhs tapes. How can I get Netflix (paid subscription:) movies from my digital tv to record on my vcr for him? convertor box will only record live tv, not Netflix. Help please

Solution
Netflix states:

•Netflix: Section 6E specifies, “You agree not to archive, download (other than through caching necessary for personal use), reproduce, distribute, modify, display, perform, publish, license, create derivative works from, offer for sale, or use (except as explicitly authorized in these Terms of Use) content and information contained on or obtained from or through the Netflix service without express written permission from Netflix and its licensors.”

In short, recording from Netflix would fall under the header of archiving or reproducing material, which is explicitly not allowed. :(
Jan 3, 2019
unfortunately no, my father is illiterate, he lives in the south and I in MD. He has no premium channels and is still using dish. It took forever to teach him to use dish controller and as he's 80 years of age refuses new technology. I thought since I paid for a monthly subscription I was allowed to record movies. I am not able to travel there for the next four months and figured this would be a good idea to keep him busy and somewhat safe on the couch. Thank you for your reply.

Netflix states:

•Netflix: Section 6E specifies, “You agree not to archive, download (other than through caching necessary for personal use), reproduce, distribute, modify, display, perform, publish, license, create derivative works from, offer for sale, or use (except as explicitly authorized in these Terms of Use) content and information contained on or obtained from or through the Netflix service without express written permission from Netflix and its licensors.”

In short, recording from Netflix would fall under the header of archiving or reproducing material, which is explicitly not allowed. :(

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I fully understand, but as you can see from SR-71 Blackbird's post, what you are asking to do is simply not allowed.

Is he able to go out and about (safely)? If so, many local libraries have video collections on VHS that can be borrowed for personal use (and returned, of course). Is this a possibility?

Jan 3, 2019

Jan 3, 2019
I understand now. We use dvr to record premier soccer if we are not home during the live game. I never had a need to record a Netflix movie for myself and had no plans of selling the vhs recordings. I guess the difference is streaming shows are allowed but not movie channels. Sorry, I too am not very techy. Thanks for the information.

Jan 3, 2019
There's a lot of things both my parents could do to enjoy life more but doing so would remove the excuses they use to guilt trip me for not leaving my husband and children in Md in order to move back to MS so that I can once again be subjected to their backwoods southern mentality, stubbornness, and constant criticism. They refuse my offer of a dvd system otherwise I'd just buy a unit and movies for them. My father can't read and my mother has never desired a library card. They have over 1000 John Wayne, Indian, and gospel preaching/singing tapes they've recorded on his VCR and they won't get with the times so there's probably very few ideas I have not already thought of and tried. Thank you for suggestions and for making me aware that I would have been committing a crime against Netflix. If I could purchase God Is Not Dead, Heaven is Real, and animal movies from the past ten years on VHS my problems would have already been solved. Just a tuff situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.