how do i hook up my home theatre to my pc??

Stemz

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
So I've been tying to connect my pc to my home theatre since its a 7.1 surround sound system but i could only seem to get it to run stereo 2.0 i probably don't have the required equipment my mother board has 5.0 audio. My gpu is a nvidia 760, the card had true audio but i have no clue what that is lol I'm kind of new to this would i need a audio card to run 7.1?

Solution

If your amplifier supports HDMI, use that and read no further.

If your amplifier does not support HDMI, your options are limited to what can be accomplished with optical audio using the S/PDIF protocol.

As far as audio is concerned, HDMI supports the following:

Up to 8 channels of LPCM (uncompressed digital audio) at a data rate of 24 bits per sample and 192,000...

jnewegger23

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I'm no audiophile but I have my gaming rig connected to 3 monitors plus my home theater 46" Sony Bravia via my Sony AMP. I simply bought a 50 ft hdmi cable and connected it to my gpu and AMP. Sounds pretty good to me. I'm sure some serious audiophiles have more detailed solutions but this works well for my needs.

Rig>GPU>Hdmi>AMP>TV

ibnBzyuBa88jS1.jpg

The Amp intakes the hdmi cable audio and disperses through the speakers and simultaneously takes the video signal and sends to the TV.

Hope this helps at least get you to test it out whether you keep this method or go with another have fun with it!

Thanks,

Justin S.

Danifilth

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
The way i would do it is get a 3.5mm or whatever headphone size jack it is to AV cables converter usually you find in radioshack.

2nd is hooking up the optical cable from the motherboard usually newer motherboards have those if not buy a sound card for cheap.

For bragging rights you can buy a 500$ dollar sound card if you want with 200$ cables. Someone will know more than me since i only use 4.1 speakers that i bought around 2001 creative inspire 4.1 series

Pinhedd

Distinguished

If your amplifier supports HDMI, use that and read no further.

If your amplifier does not support HDMI, your options are limited to what can be accomplished with optical audio using the S/PDIF protocol.

As far as audio is concerned, HDMI supports the following:

Up to 8 channels of LPCM (uncompressed digital audio) at a data rate of 24 bits per sample and 192,000 samples per second (24bps/192Khz).

All major consumer implementations of compressed Dolby Digital bitstreams, Dolby Digital Plus bitstreams, and lossless Dolby TrueHD bitstreams

All major consumer implementations of compressed DTS bitstreams and lossless DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreams

S/PDIF on the other hand supports only the following:

Up to 2 channels of LPCM (Mono/Stereo only) at a data rate of up to 20 bits (many are limited to 16) and is usually limited to 48Khz.

All major consumer implentations of Dolby Digital bitstreams

All major consumer implementations of DTS bitstreams

S/PDIF does not support more than two channels of LPCM, high LPCM resolutions or bitrates, or high-bandwidth/lossless compression codecs such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, or DTS-HD Master Audio.

If your receiver is connected via optical right now (S/PDIF device in Windows Audio) you will not be able to configure it as more than a stereo receiver. It can't be done. You can configure it to receive Dolby Digital / DTS bitstreams if the application targets that device and is allowed exclusive control. This requires an audio source that is compressed to the appropriate format, such as a DVD.

Most PC games will not generate compressed bitstreams like they do on last gen consoles (excepting some cutscenes which are entirely prerecorded) so it's not possible to obtain 5.1/7.1 output from PC games over optical.

The only work around for this is to use a sound card that has hardware support for compressing audio into a Dolby Digital or DTS bitstream in real time. Creative Labs offers sound cards that do this with technologies named Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect. Some motherboards support this as well. In general though, the audio quality from these technologies is less than stellar.

Solution: see above, use HDMI if you have it.

Solution

Stemz

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Ah ok thanks it's a Samsung home theatre i don't know the model but it does have a hdmi in and out port i just want So sure if i could hook up my gpu to it or i was stuck with the onboard audio. But yea that's a great idea what format will the the audio be if i use hdmi

Eduello

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014

Depends on the source. Most games will be in LPCM, blu-rays in DTS-HD MA (usually), and DVDs in DTS/ Dolby Digital 5.1 (usually).

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Windows allows audio devices to be configured in two modes: shared mode and exclusive mode.
When a device is in shared mode you must configure it in Control Panel (Sound -> Playback -> <name of your receiver> -> Right Click -> Configure Speakers). Each application that wants to share the device can get its own Windows Audio Session which it sends audio to. The Windows Audio service then mixes all running audio sessions together into a number of LPCM streams that match the speaker configuration; the audio driver then performs post-processing and handles the output.
Exclusive mode allows an application to obtain full control of the device output and bypass the Windows Audio mixer entirely. This is mostly used by applications that need to send compressed bitstreams that are decoded by the receiver as bitstreams can't be mixed while they are encoded and interruptions in the stream would cause errors in the audio.
Most media player applications allow the user to configure the receiver-supported formats. If the media player detects a receiver supported format, it will pass it through to the receiver for handling rather than handling it itself. For example, if you are playing a movie that has 8 channels of 24bps/96Khz audio encoded with DTS-HD Master Audio the bitstream can either be decoded into its component LPCM channels in software by the media player itself which are then transmitted as uncompressed multichannel audio, or transmitted to the receiver as a bitstream where it will be decoded into the same component LPCM channels. Both will work just fine, but decoding at the receiver ensures that the receiver handles post-processing rather than the audio device. Most modern receivers will easily detect the inbound audio format automatically and configure itself appropriately.

Stemz

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
So i was going to hook up the hdmi onto my home theatre it has 2 hdmi in ports and 1 hdmi out port would i be able to use a hdmi cable on my gpu and hook it up into one of the Ports and the use the display port to the screen.. i wa trying to do this
Gpu<home theatre<pc monitor but i don't think i will work like that think if this but idk if it will work gpu<Home theatre...gpu<monitor that's my second option but Idk if i can use the hdmi just for audio

jnewegger23

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
You definitely can get it working; I'm just not sure if I understand what you mean so I have some visuals of my setup and what you can do. Just right click on the sound icon in the lower right corner next to the time and you can select which audio output you want - in this case I have my Bravia icon selected for what's actually my sony receiver:

ijGwQCcggfIey.jpg

I also have a schematic of my setup to hopefully clarify how you may want to try:

itvKetGiF7VrG.jpg

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Yes that will work fine. HDMI can carry audio without a video signal accompanying it.

Stemz

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
thanks man it worked. i was expecting to use the second hdmi just as an audio cable but i didnt realize that i could use my bluray as a pass thru so i guess my pc extends to the screen. my blu ray player has 2 hdmi in ports and 1 hdmi out port. i was expecting to run a cable from my gpu to the amp and then use the out port to my monitor but the only problem there was that i wasnt going to be able to use the blue ray on my big screen. so my second thought was running 1 hdmi to my screen and the other to the bluray to use them just as speakers and leaving the out port connected to the big screen to use when ever needed. and then i was going to use the last port on my card to extend it to the big screen but to my suprise i turned it on and changed it to the proper input and saw that my pc extended to the big screen. the onlything is that i was trying to see if i could adjust the settings to 7.1 but it dosent seem to let me, any ideas??