How do i reset my modem/wifi ?

bharath747

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Hey. Recently my little brother gave our wifi password to the neighbours who is also his friend. I noticed them using our wifi, standing outside the home quite often. I don't want to say "you shouldn't use our wifi" directly, i think its rude. Instead are there anyways to reset my password by myself? If so, will them be able to use the wifi after? Or is it too complicated that i should just call the customers' service?

Tl;dr : Neighbours got our wifi password, are there any ways i can stop them from using our wifi?

Solution
yes, if you can acces to the router, just change the password, they will try to connect but fail to do it

rememer to set the security on wpa2, if is set to wep, it can be easilyt cracked by someone patient with some knowledge living near you, wpa2 is not easy to crack and will make them ask you to give the password, do it and change it later or don't give them the password

is a good thing to change form time to time the password

USAFRet

Illustrious

2 ways:

1. Log onto the router config page, and change the WiFi password.

2. Reset it back to factory condition. There is probably a little button on the back somewhere.
You hold that in for 30 seconds.
Look in your router manual for the exact location and procedure.

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
if the router is yours, you must have the user and password to enter in the router settings and change the wifi name and password, or at least the password only

if the router is rented, given to you by your isp, then call them and ask them to do the procedure for you

if there is no router, only a modem and you press the reset button and your isp is the only one that can set it, don't press the reset button, it will get you in troubles, some companies will make you pay the technician visit to set it up again

bharath747

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Thanks for the replies guy, much appreciated. I'll try do it by myself and if I reset the password, neighbour no longer be able to use it unless i give him the new pass right? Anyways thanks once again.

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
yes, if you can acces to the router, just change the password, they will try to connect but fail to do it

rememer to set the security on wpa2, if is set to wep, it can be easilyt cracked by someone patient with some knowledge living near you, wpa2 is not easy to crack and will make them ask you to give the password, do it and change it later or don't give them the password

is a good thing to change form time to time the password

Solution