Question How do I stop my BIOS from updating itself automatically ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2020
I have an asus tuf fx 505 ge laptop, recently the bios updated itself automatically and throttlestop stopped working, i read online that switching to a previous version will fix it, it did, the previous version did fix it, until the next day when it started it up again and the first thing i see is the bios updating itself automatically, since then ive tried everything, from disabling windows updates to using winflash but the bios jsut keeps on updating itself to the latest version, i am really tired of doing this again and again. i just want throttlestop to work so i can play games peacefully without my laptop throttling, please help me ??

Aug 13, 2020
View: https://imgur.com/a/TW9bnUC
(here are all the processes that are running after startup)
Which process do you think i should close as there are some critical processes too, which one is safe to disable and which will stop the bios updating problem, thank you.
UPDATE: I tried to delete many of the asus programs that came from the factory, including ASUS live update but still the bios has updated itself automatically. At this point I have no idea what to do, any help would be grateful.

Aug 20, 2020
Same here, i have an ASUS TUF FX505GT and the Bios started to update itself on august 18th, even when rolling back manually to the old BIOS, deleting all the windows update backup files, and also stopping all asus background services (also to avoid the update and keep ThrottleStop working). I think the asus firmware update 10.1.2.307 (at least on my particular case) is the update that brings the automatic UEFI flash utility, and i think this utility wrote something in the UEFI boot sector that performs an automatic check on every system restart, if the BIOS present is out of date then the automatic EZ-Flash function takes over. Anyway this is a personal guess so i will be following this post. Also if you happen to discover the root cause and how to prevent it, please feel free to share this info here!.

Aug 21, 2020
I'm in the same position with FX504GM trying to figure out a way around it. There is a device manager entry for System Firmware which shows a mismatch if I downgrade so this may be where it is caching the BIOS to reinstall ?
Edit - so I uninstalled the system firmware for the latest downloaded version (click the delete driver bit). Disabled additional updates from the Windows update settings. Used this :
https://www.laptopmag.com/uk/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

Downgraded the BIOS to the last good one. All seems to be OK after several updates checks and reboots.

Last edited:
Reactions: freddy hung
Aug 20, 2020
I'm in the same position with FX504GM trying to figure out a way around it. There is a device manager entry for System Firmware which shows a mismatch if I downgrade so this may be where it is caching the BIOS to reinstall ?
Edit - so I uninstalled the system firmware for the latest downloaded version (click the delete driver bit). Disabled additional updates from the Windows update settings. Used this :
https://www.laptopmag.com/uk/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

Downgraded the BIOS to the last good one. All seems to be OK after several updates checks and reboots.

Thanks for replying to this, let me see if i understood the process: going to the device manager, then looking for "system firmware" and uninstall the driver related to it.. Then what's next? I guess if i first disable automatic driver downloads then the uninstalled device cannot self update so it will appear uninstalled. Then flash the bios for the last good one?. Please explain the step by step procedure with a little more detail if you can please?.

Aug 21, 2020
Thanks for replying to this, let me see if i understood the process: going to the device manager, then looking for "system firmware" and uninstall the driver related to it.. Then what's next? I guess if i first disable automatic driver downloads then the uninstalled device cannot self update so it will appear uninstalled. Then flash the bios for the last good one?. Please explain the step by step procedure with a little more detail if you can please?.

It's pretty much as you describe. Disable the additional updates, disable the driver updates, then goto Device manager - Firmware - right click and uninstall the version currently installed with the 'delete the driver software' box ticked. Install the old BIOS and you should be OK from there.
I now have an optional update under Windows Updates of the new BIOS so I have an option to install, not the forced update.

Reactions: Albert_Sky
Aug 20, 2020
It's pretty much as you describe. Disable the additional updates, disable the driver updates, then goto Device manager - Firmware - right click and uninstall the version currently installed with the 'delete the driver software' box ticked. Install the old BIOS and you should be OK from there.
I now have an optional update under Windows Updates of the new BIOS so I have an option to install, not the forced update.
It worked like a charm! Thanks for this! now ThrottleStop is working again and the Firmware update appears on the optional updates but i can choose not to install it (which i am definitely doing!).

Sep 24, 2020
Thanks man!! You saved my life. I upgraded my bios earlier cuz i thought the newest one could solve the temperature issue on my ASUS ROG but i was wrong, it getting worse after bios upgrade. I've been looking on youtube and other forums for the solution but when it downgrade it goes back to auto update BIOS once i restart my laptop until i found this article.

Nov 12, 2020
I updated my bios and my laptop's battery started draining rapidly even with charging cable plugged in. I want downgrade now with above method but my laptop not booting up because of low battery. What should I do now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.