fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015
hello guys how can I attach my ef 50mm f1.2 lens on my camcorder? should I remove the default lens of an ordinary camcorder? then point the back of the lens to sensor? will this work?

Solution

The only thing that will accomplish is breaking both the camcorder and scratching up the expensive 50mm 1.2. Without calculating the back focal length and putting the camera at the exact distance (down to micron level), you'll just get a blurry mess.

If you want to use the 50 1.2, you should get a Canon C series camera like the C300, it will accept the lens just like an slr would
The camcorder has to allow you to mount Canon EF lenses, or there has to be an adapter available which lets you mount Canon EF lenses. The mount/adapter not only holds the lens in place, the electrical contacts control functions like focus and f-stop. Without an adapter, you will lose autofocus and the lens will always be at f/1.2.

If this is just a temporary one-time thing, you may be able to rig something up to hold the lens in place long enough for your shot and focus manually. But since you're talking about a 50 f/1.2 which is a pretty substantial lens, I assume you want something more permanent. Some of the professional Canon camcorders accept EF lenses, though lately the trend is to add camcorder-like functionality to DSLR bodies.

The only thing that will accomplish is breaking both the camcorder and scratching up the expensive 50mm 1.2. Without calculating the back focal length and putting the camera at the exact distance (down to micron level), you'll just get a blurry mess.

If you want to use the 50 1.2, you should get a Canon C series camera like the C300, it will accept the lens just like an slr would

Solution

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015

there is no C300 available here. (mother father people here just does like smartphones for videos) I mean I dont care about breaking the camera. it's okay I have a lot of spares in case.

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015

Camcorders with lens mounts are very expensive. I'm okay with the f stops because I also have a constant aperture lens here. but as you said It's possible right?

He was confusing the reverse lens macro trick with shooting video doing a similar thing. You will not get good results, it's just too hard. Even more so when the camera does not have removable lenses, since that usually means a tiny sensor that is affected not only by minor changes in z axis, but also x and y.

Do not be an idiot and risk a $1500 lens because you don't want to spend $700 on a used camera that is compatible with it.

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015

maybe you're right I'll just sell the lens to increase my lens collection for my A7s. and what about the DOF adapter? how does that thing works?

You want to increase zoom by adding a 50mm fixed focal length lens that literally has no zoom?

For your lens, try http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889545-REG/Canon_EOS_C100_EF_Cinema.html, it will more than fit the DOF needs

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015

thanks