How to burn MP4 files from digital camera to play in mp4 bd player

klrman

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
If I burn normal mp4 videos as data files on a dvd disc, I can play them fine in my mp4 capable blu-ray player. But, if I burn mp4 videos from any of my digital cameras as data, they will not play on my player. Is there a specific way I am supposed to burn these?

Your player appears to not support either the audio or video codec, or the container format.

(You can have an "H.264" video codec but it may be a newer profile like "4.2" and if the player can only decode up to "4.1" it won't work.)

The only option there is to CONVERT into a format that works which can be done fairly well on a PC using HANDBRAKE though you'll want to experiment with quality settings.

https://handbrake.fr/

Example:
a) run Handbrake
b) drag in video (can BATCH/queue videos too)
c) choose "normal" on bottom right
d) anamorphic-> none
e) optimize-> medium
f) bitrate-> 5000kbps
g) 2-pass encoding-> YES

Start there.. hope it helps. FYI, I chose the "HIGH PROFILE" and that wouldn't play on my Samsung BD player, only the NORMAL profile.

I converted BluRay and if choosing enough bitrate and long enough optimization setting (slower is better) I could get identical to source to my naked eye.

klrman

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
Thanks for the help photonboy! I'm using linux, but will try different settings to see what may work. I always thought mp4 is just one standard and was surprised that some mp4 vids played but ones from my digital camera would not play when burned.

1) Handbrake works fine on Ubuntu, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue to recompile for your distro.
2) MP4 is a single standard, just like JPG, PNG, etc. The issue is that not all software/hardware supports the entire standard, especially since standards are changed all the time. Ever wonder why your 802.11g laptop doesn't get faster when you use it in a 802.11n network? Same thing.

klrman

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
basroll, that confuses me a little. If MP4 is a single standard, why would burning some mp4 files as data files on a dvd disc work in my BD player (which states it plays mp4 data files) and then when I burn mp4 files from my digital camera, they "won't" play on my BD player?

rgd1101

Don't
mp4 is a file format, but there are different encoding that can be use in the file format, and not all device know how to decode them.

what you do you burn mp4 files from your camera? do you mean a movies? can they be play on a computer?

klrman

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
Thanks, I clearly understand how the format works now!

Yes, I was trying to burn mp4 files (movies) from my camera as the camera saves them as mp4. They play fine on my computer but not on my BD player. My BD player never had a problem with other mp4 videos but will not play mp4 videos from any of my digital cameras.\

Is there a way to convert the mp4 files from the camera to a mp4 standard that most players would accept?

klrman

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014

I tried handbrake as posted but in linux it only has .mkv to save as a file extension. So I used .mkv and BD or DVD player would not
recognize it.

klrman

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014

Yeah, sorry about that. I had a difficult time understanding how handbrake works and then about using mp4box afterwards, but I understand it now. I read that handbrake should convert to mp4 in linux, but there is some debian bug which needs a workaround. I'm trying to wean myself completely off windows and will take your advice to heart and search much more before posting.

Yes, debian has issues with multimedia applications because of their use of 100% GNU/open source materials. You might want to start with a different distro if you are still learning and trying to use linux as main.

You'll find that learning how to search for what you need will help you elsewhere too, it's a great skill to have.

klrman

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014

I kind of got used to mint 17.2 cinnamon for now, but there is a learning curve. I do have my win7 pc if I ever run into any trouble. So far just little things, otherwise I'm really enjoying linux.

klrman

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
Found a way to make the file playable on my Blu-ray player. Instead of using the mp4 file from the samsung digital camera, which for some reason would not play in my player, I converted the mp4 file to an avi file and burned that file and it plays full hd, so problem solved