How to connect my Sony blu ray, smart tv and directv satellite through older pioneer receiver so I have surround sound

marglaughlin

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
I had to get a new Sony blu ray and LG smart tv. Everything had been connected with directv box through the Pioneer receiver so I had surround sound. Nothing has changed with the directv connections but how do I connect blu ray and tv to get surround sound! Tv has hdmi1,2&3 and I was told to buy 2 new 4K hdmi cables which I have done.

Without model numbers we can't know what connections you have available.
In general you would connect the DTV and BD player to the TV with HDMI.
If the TV and receiver both have optical audio then use that. Check the TV and receiver manuals on how to configure that connection.
If the TV and receiver don't have a compatible audio connection you will need some kind of active converter.

marglaughlin

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
Thanks for responding! I have the following equipment
LG tv 65UJ6200UA
Sony blu ray BDP56700
Pioneer receiver V5X-520-K
Bose surround sound speakers wired into receiver and none of those wires have changed. They were all working fine with old equipment.
The connections are as follows
4kHDMI from satellite to HDMI 1 on tv
4kHDMI from blu ray to HDMI 2 on tv
HDMI from BD port on receiver to HDMI 3 on tv
Finally HDMI from DVD port on receiver to TV port on receiver
I also have a Logitech Harmony remote which I have programmed as far as I can go right now.
We are able to watch tv, all the apps and dvds. The only problem is no surround sound. I feel as though it is a very simple connection error but I cannot figure it out.
Thanks
Marg Laughlin