Solved! How to get from an hdmi output on a cable box to a pc

jastew1011

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I want to turn my pc into a media center. However, I would like to input HD TV from a hdmi output on a cable box into an hdmi input on a computer than to the tv. Is there any inexpensive port that allows me to have a hdmi input on a computer? Thank you

Apologies. I tend to skip over capture devices and look solely at TV Tuner cards. [strike]Yes, that device should work.[/strike]

After doing some more research on the device, I'm not entirely sure it would work for your purposes anymore. It seems there may be some HDCP compliance issues and I'm no longer sure it would work with an HDMI output from your cable box. Then again, the same may be true of the Blackmagic Design: Intensity Pro.

-Wolf sends

It's really outside my area of knowledge. The best advice I can give is to read up on the reviews of the device (as many as you can find), and make your own determination as to whether you'll be able to capture HDTV. I just don't know if the HDMI output from your cable box is still protected.

The device does come with a input dongle that allows you to connect via Component, Composite, or S-Video, so using one of those outputs may work for you.

-Wolf sends

P.S. you linked to the Open Box version of the device. I'd be wary of that as it may not actually contain the input dongle. It should, but it might not.