How to get PS4 and PC to output through sound system

ZombiePotatoSalad

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015
I have an LG BH5140S and an RCA LED40G45RQ tv. I have my PC hooked up via HDMI to the TV for picture, and the sound system via the rear headphone jack for sound. I also have a PS4 hooked up to the TV via HDMI.

What I Want: for my PC and PS4 to put video through the TV, and audio through the sound system.

My problems: PC doesn't detect HDMI for sound output. PS4 outputs sound through TV.

What I Have: 2x HDMI cables. 2x Red/White component cables. 2x Red/White-3.5mm headphone jack cables.

Solution
Yes, on my TV I have to turn the volume all the way down to zero, and it uses the TV digital output to my Onkyo AVR and it works nicely and also decodes 5.1 surround for all movies.

Thinking it will work for you but you have to get a SPDIF coax-to-optical converter like I linked to, and the cabling and such. Would be well worth it for the minimal cost (around $25) to get a nice, clean digital output to your RCA AV setup.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
your TV should have an audio out connection that you can connect to your sound system. with this setup anytime you change the source on your TV it will output the right audio. most TV's have an optical connection or coaxial connection on the back of the TV for this. as for your issues outputting the HDMI audio from the PC make sure you have your GPU drives fully installed and the right playback device selected

ikaz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
So wait which TV are you trying to use ? 2nd I'm assuming your PS4 is working as far as you get both Audio and Visual through HDMI on it, and you do not have a stereo receiver. Please also list what type/model of GPU are you running in your PC as well.

May be a quick solution, get an SPDIF coax / optical converter like this one, if you don't have a good cable to connect the TV, get something like this (select appropriate length of course). Also get an optical cable like this if you need one.

Most TVs will pass-through the digital audio signal from all the HDMI inputs to the SPDIF out (my Visio does, via optical out) so my TV is the source of all AV as well, optical out to my trusty Onkyo 5.1 AVR. Works for all my devices that use HDMI, and decodes Dolby and DTS surround if the source supports it.

On your PC, make sure your playback device is the HDMI audio output, and it should play back on the TV like your PS4. To check, right-click your speaker icon and select "playback devices" then highlight the HDMI audio out (should list the TV or monitor as "High Definition audio device") and make it default.

ZombiePotatoSalad

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015

There is no HDMI audio out on the list. There is the TV, but that only makes the sound output through the TV. It doesn't go to the sound system.

Yes, on my TV I have to turn the volume all the way down to zero, and it uses the TV digital output to my Onkyo AVR and it works nicely and also decodes 5.1 surround for all movies.

Thinking it will work for you but you have to get a SPDIF coax-to-optical converter like I linked to, and the cabling and such. Would be well worth it for the minimal cost (around $25) to get a nice, clean digital output to your RCA AV setup.

Solution

captaincharisma

Distinguished

some RCA TV's have a coaxial connection which looks like an RCA type connector. it would be best to check you TV manual. I bought a 48" RCA TV a few months ago and it had a coaxial audio out jack instead of optical