How to remove Search.Yahoo from chrome (only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

supmah100

Prominent
Aug 21, 2017
So the problem is pretty straight forward... I have got something on my PC that redirects me when I make searches in the top bar to Yahoo! (search.yahoo). I have tried many full PC scans. F-Secure, AVG, Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes, Bitdefender and even Windows 10 Defender. Probably more as Chromes own tools. But none have found anything harmful... I've removed Chrome totaly and ALL of its folders and files after uninstalling it, then I've run scans, found nothing. Rebooted, installed Chrome and yet it redirects me to Yahoo... This problem is only on one of the four browsers on my PC (Firefox, Chrome, Edge and Explorer) and that being Chrome. I don't know what to do else as nothing seems to work, I don't wanna reset my PC either if possible as I've got some pretty important stuff on it and ALOT meaning a pain to back everything up. Send me a message if you guys need more details!

I've also reset Chromes settings a few times and removed the stock search engine and so on making it only Google as standard.

Solution
Conventional methods tried? Let's go through thorough ones.

Before restarting chrome, make sure your use Chrome cleanup tool and completely remove Chrome manually. Both in Win Key + R -> %appdata% and remove any Chrome data you find. Afterward, go to registries, HKey -> Software -> Chrome and remove all of the signatures.

1. Restart your PC in “Safe mode with networking.”
2. Install and run RKill to kill malicious processes and services
3. Check your Programs and features and see if there are any new recently installed programs that you don’t recognize. If there are, remove them.
4. Check your task manager for any suspicious processes, if found, identify folders and try to remove them manually. Or just "Win key + R" and type...

nitinvaid20

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
check in programs and features if something related to yahoo is installed there is not if there is then uninstall it

and in Google Chrome Goto Settings then manage search engines remove yahoo from there and select the google default

supmah100

Prominent
Aug 21, 2017

I've done both and there are no programs there, and the engines are removed.

supmah100

Prominent
Aug 21, 2017

This has been done a few times, and the only engine there is Google, no traces of any other engines.

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
Hm, you're not seeing anything in Programs, Chrome extensions, etc. Sometimes these toolbars can be very tricky, even if they aren't PUPs or malicious per se, and are able to essentially re-download themselves.

I would try a couple of things:

1. Boot time scan. Disconnect the Internet from your PC and run a boot time scan (for example with Avast Free: https://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB132)

2. Try a program such as CCleaner, which can often remove this type of junk.

Let us know if that helps!

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Conventional methods tried? Let's go through thorough ones.

Before restarting chrome, make sure your use Chrome cleanup tool and completely remove Chrome manually. Both in Win Key + R -> %appdata% and remove any Chrome data you find. Afterward, go to registries, HKey -> Software -> Chrome and remove all of the signatures.

1. Restart your PC in “Safe mode with networking.”
2. Install and run RKill to kill malicious processes and services
3. Check your Programs and features and see if there are any new recently installed programs that you don’t recognize. If there are, remove them.
4. Check your task manager for any suspicious processes, if found, identify folders and try to remove them manually. Or just "Win key + R" and type %appdata%. Afterward, delete potentially malicious folders. (This time look for something that looks weird, not chrome files)
5. Do a full scan with anti-virus software of your choice or use Windows Defender to clean up initial infections.
6. Scan your PC with Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes, and AdwCleaner. Multiple anti-malware solutions will confirm that the threat was removed.
7. Clean up your Registry and Cached files with CCleaner
8. Restart your PC in normal mode and do an additional scan to confirm that the malware is gone.

Let me know how it goes.

Solution

supmah100

Prominent
Aug 21, 2017

Hello! This sadly did not help, BUT the boot time scan DID find something in Firefox, that I havent done more than logged in to sooo.. that's that I guess.
zznqPki.jpg

supmah100

Prominent
Aug 21, 2017

Hello, sadly.. I didn't fully get to test this. In the middle of scanning with MalwareBytes it crashed and something happend with Windows. I couldn't login... So what I did was to restart my PC 100%, whiped the drives and installed Windows once again.

BUT, while starting safemode, I noticed a program called something like whatsthis.exe... I have no clue what it is and it isn't installed as a program showing or on autostartup AND couldn't find it on the disk. (Whiped them by connecting them to an old PC and then just whiping them clean, took the old one as it isn't used and don't wanna get this yahoo thing on a currect PC.

I'm pretty sure this solution would work for me but sadly I can't 100% be sure. Thanks for the help and willing to help.

Mod Edit for Language :no:

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
No problem. It is a thorough approach. Usually, recommend this to a lot of people who want to avoid disk wipe and clean reinstall. Naturally, a clean reinstall is sometimes faster and more efficient, but if you do not have backups, it can be a disaster.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Jp, if you would scroll a little up, you can see a comprehensive solution to removing the redirect/adware/malware problems. If those do not help you, let me know, and I will try determining a particular solution for your problem.

Oct 31, 2017
Best Malware Remover is GridinSoft Malware Remover - it was the only Malware Remover out of many I had initially installed and tried until GrindinSoft MR actually found this very bad thread and even removed it!!! PERFECT!!! :bounce: (and NO I am not from this company!) - I just suggest this software because this issue nerved me since weeks and I could not get rid of it - until I used this tool.

xjdukx

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017

Did you pay for it? I just tried this and it looked impressive until it got to the end and demanded money.

xjdukx

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
I have the same problem. All searches get redirected to Yahoo unless I hit the home button, which I have set at www.google.co.uk

Every new tab shows a page with opera type speed dial thumbnails, and a Google style box, but no mention of Google. If I use the search field or the address field to search, it used Yahoo.

I have tried EVERYTHING carefully as directed in the thread. Avast, Malwarebytes, ADWCleaner, Ccleaner, Rkill, Trend Homecall, Hitman Pro, boottime scan etc etc

Oct 31, 2017

YES I had the same issuees - it is a real pain i.t.a... - as said until the used tool mentioned above removed it! - Happy again.... as this is one of the most anoying adware or virus - however some call it! I just wonder as probabbly some millions of users have this now - why are the most used virus or malware tools not already updated to catch this as they all can't find the issue!!! ??? that is a riddle for me? Anyway try the above mentioned

xjdukx

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
I followed a set of instructions on the WebUser magazine forum.

The step by step guide posted was lengthy but excellent and easy to follow.

It worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.