How to set default storage to SD Card in Galaxy J2 (Android version 5.1.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

manikanta26

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Hi All,

After inserting a new memory card, it hasn't asked for how to use this memory card. I am setting default storage by logging into each application. Please help me.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
On that version you cannot set the SD card up as the default storage for apps. You would need to upgrade to Android "Marshmallow" a.k.a. 6.0.

If you can upgrade, then the only other obstacle is if the manufacturer restricted that option on that phone. It happens. Should you be able to upgrade, then you can try the following to make it work.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
  2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the...
On that version you cannot set the SD card up as the default storage for apps. You would need to upgrade to Android "Marshmallow" a.k.a. 6.0.

If you can upgrade, then the only other obstacle is if the manufacturer restricted that option on that phone. It happens. Should you be able to upgrade, then you can try the following to make it work.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
  2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
  3. Now, select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
  4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
  5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

The_devil

Prominent
May 17, 2017

Can we update Samsung Galaxy J2 to Android 'Marshmellow'?

Jeffalqura

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017

My J2 prime already had 6.0.1 version which I believe is marchmallow. But no option to format as internal. Any solution on this? Please help.

judylee16

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017

I am not seeing the three dot menu when I choose the SD card on my J2 and it's running version 6.01. Help....

Edmar_

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017

Rajput_4

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017

dstasse

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
I also have the same question. My Samsung Galaxy S7 is running Android 7. When accessing the storage feature, SD card, I see two options, format or eject. There are no three dots upper right. 29 GB out of 32 GB are consumed on internal storage. Apps are 15 GB and audio is 21 GB. Don't know why these two add up to more than capacity. Don't know what the audio is.

syamimie.saman

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017

yambikram5

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
Unfortunately not
Buy a new one with higher android version

Status
Not open for further replies.