How to stream movies too my Apple TV 4?

fraser11

Estimable
Jul 17, 2014
I have a very large collection of digital movies on my laptop (Windows 10) and I was wondering if I am able to let my Apple TV access this and just stream the movies to that? I have tried VLC player but I can only get that working between my iPad and iPhone where one acts as a host with the films and the other connects and streams through 'Local Network'.

Any ideas?

Solution
Apple TV only wants to stream through iTunes. It wants all your videos imported into an iTunes library, sitting on a local iTunes server (either Mac or Windows), and the video formats it accepts is limited. Am going to assume lots of your videos will have to be re-encoded to make Apple happy, a lot of work, but it does give you that nice AppleTV interface.

Quicker, get a Roku, and run a DLNA server on your Win10. Some BluRay players have DLNA player built-in. Some smart and semi-smart TV too may have DLNA built-in.

triley

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
I'm pretty sure Apple TV does not allow local media streaming. It's pretty much just for online content and apps. It looks like there may be an overly complicated workaround using a DLNA App for your Ipad or IPhone and then broadcasting to the Apple TV through Airplay.

Apple TV only wants to stream through iTunes. It wants all your videos imported into an iTunes library, sitting on a local iTunes server (either Mac or Windows), and the video formats it accepts is limited. Am going to assume lots of your videos will have to be re-encoded to make Apple happy, a lot of work, but it does give you that nice AppleTV interface.

Quicker, get a Roku, and run a DLNA server on your Win10. Some BluRay players have DLNA player built-in. Some smart and semi-smart TV too may have DLNA built-in.

Solution