Spencer Bell

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Hi, my name is Spencer Bell. I work at Mainstreet Computer Solutions - a computer store - fixing computers. A customer of ours has brought in a HP Compaq Presario CQ62 laptop. The initial problem she was having is that her power supply was not working. To my understanding the town that she is from had a power outage, so im assuming the power outage is what caused the power supply to stop working. Now i however do not know if the laptop was on when the power went out. Now we sell universal power supplys at our store so we have set her up with one of those and the computer is taking a charge now and will turn on. But what we have found is that the laptop will not boot past the HP Compaq motherboard splash screen. When trying to boot into the bios with F10 or trying to change the boot menu with the designated F key, it will say that it is entering that certain menu that was selected using the F keys but that is all. It does not actually go into the menu and will just sit there. Now i have tryed doing a CMOS reset, tryed switching the RAM with one another and tryed new RAM as well and just taking the RAM out, i do get the beebing sound indicating now ram and does now even go to the hp splash screen. I have also tryed taking out the HDD and starting it up, and still nothing. I also thought that maybe it was because of our universal power supply, so we have a bunch old power supplys laying around at our store so i tryed one that was perfect for it but still nothing. I'm currently about to attempt to replace the CMOS battery. Any input will help, thanks! :)

Spencer Bell

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Back again, rate before i was about to attempt to replace the cmos battery, i got a light bulb thinking perhaps it was the battery. So i removed the battery, plugged in the power supply - our universal power supply - and woa la! it booted up perfectly. So i reinstalled the battery to see if it wouldn't boot again, but i did!? When it was loaded up windows i looked at the battery icon, it said "plugged in, not charging". So i thought maybe it was the power supply, so i used are used one and plugged it in. Came up with the same problem. So i looked to see if we had any used batteries for it at all, we did! and it seems to be working fine now! lol kinda a solved it myself but hopefully this information helps somebody else!