hp elitebook 2740p Display does not turn on. also connected to a dock, external display wont work either.

shaffer325ix

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
hp Elitebook 2740p Display does not turn on. I can hear the fan running. lights are on.. I did try the hard reset.. I have also connected it to a docking station and tried using an external display with no change.. Would I be correct to assume the possibility of the video card has failed? Is the video card separate from the mother board? Is there a way to test it?

Elitebook

shaffer325ix

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
Just an update. I started to disassemble the Elitebook. Just to try it out, I removed the monitors cable from its spot on the motherboard. Then plugged it back in to make sure it was seated correctly. Tested it and the monitor came back on. The type of connection the display has on the motherboard seems it could be easily knocked loose. It doesn't seem, to click or snap into place. Time to get out the gorilla tape...

shaffer325ix

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
I'm revisiting this question. The laptop has sat for almost a year. I hate not being able to figure something out.. still the same issue. Except I cannot get the screen to turn on at all anymore. I have reseated all the cables I could find and still no luck. Would it be worth it the purchase the screen cable from Amazon for 20 bucks? The cables seem as if they could be a weak link being that the screen rotates over 180 degrees.
Thank you for any advice.
Nate