HP laptop G71-329wm no boot!

pclaptop23hour

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
At boot up, Power, Wireless and Bat chg lights turn on for 3 secs then unit shuts down. No onscreen video what so ever!

I changed RAM modules(2 qty) out and now unit partially boots, Power, Wireless and Bat chg are lit, and stays powered up to the point where the caps lock lights (two of them) blink three times then pauses, blinks 3 times and pauses and so on, but still no onscreen video what so ever!

HP Blink code says defective memory first, (installed new pair RAM modules 2x 2gb DDR3) and if that don't solve problem (it didn't) defective motherboard!

Installed new motherboard, with new DDR3 RAM modules and same condition exists, powers up, Power,Wireless and Bat chg are lit, caps lock lights blink(3 x sequence), and nothing further. No video display what so ever, NO PRODUCT NAME/MODEL, NO BIOS/POST screen nothing.

Anyone else seen/had this problem?

thanks in advance

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem.

pclaptop23hour

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
I tried connecting to another monitor, VGA out and nothing.

I also tried solutions recommended from Google search results, A)Power Reset (3 different variations), and B) the keyboard Bios Reset (Windows logo key with the "B" key and the "V" key) solution with no success.

I was told by another it is the graphics chip and it needs to be "reballed" !

I am not familiar withe the "reballed" procedure, are you familiar with it and do you think it is a possibility?

thanks for replies