matt3541

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Model: HP Envy 14-1111nr notebook

Hi,

Recently the main fan on my notebook failed. Thus, I found a new cooling assembly part on ebay, ordered it, and installed it. The installation process required the complete disassembly of the notebook. I followed a video guide for this. I am well aware that disassembly voids any kind of warranty, this machine was already well out of warranty.

After re-assembling the notebook, it doesn't boot or show any signs of life. I have tried all combinations of powering on with and without battery, with and without AC adapter, and with and without the hard drive. The computer's charging light doesn't light up when the adapter is plugged in, but right after I insert the plug to the computer, I hear a very faint clicking once or twice where it plugs in. I am curious if possibly during the disassembly/reassembly process I broke a power component to the computer or possibly shorted out something on the motherboard. I didn't use an antistatic wristband during the process however in hindsight I definitely should have.

I'm curious as to which part could possibly need replacing according to the symptoms described above. I double checked that all plugs were properly inserted as well. Hopefully someone can point me towards whether the problem is with the DC-in power component within the computer or perhaps the entire motherboard. If it's just the little DC component, could that be easily replaced?

Thanks,
Matt

I would suggest you check the motherboard and see if there is a damaged "Charging Circuit". I know you can 'repair' the charging circuit, at least on many laptops, without replacing the full motherboard. You would just have to locate the damaged circuit, obtain a new circuit, remove the old one, and solder in the new one.

Now if you don't feel comfortable working with the one small piece, then you would need to get someone to do it, or replace the whole motherboard.

matt3541

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

Is there a way to visually check the charging circuit for damage? Also, the machine doesn't boot on battery-only either, would this make sense with a broken charging circuit? I don't think the battery is dead.

matt3541

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

It looks easy enough to remove, I may as well try to replace it. Thank you for your help! :)