I_Like_Games

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
I'm planning on getting a HTPC - not decided now between Raspberry Pi 2 vs dedicated HTPC.
Will be used in my home theatre room and would like it to be constantly on and downloading via Bittorrent. I am wondering about what app/server option I should go with

I will be storing all my media on internal/external hdds on HTPC/Raspberry Pi
Would like it to be on, downloading via Bittorrent
Would like to be able to stream/share videos/files with other PCs and maybe mobile devices within my home.
Would like a nice, appealing, simple interface that is easy to navigate and manage.
Would like to be able to add, remove media easily.

Which application/server would I use? Plex? Emby? Kodi?
Is there a way that Kodi can act like a media server like PLex/Emby and stream media across network?

I understand there are Plex/Emby add-ons for Kodi, how would I go about making this work?
What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks

MasterHiFi

Estimable
Jul 13, 2015
Hey ILG -

Yeah, that's the eternal debate. I've asked the same question myself a couple of times. This is what I decided...

A dedicated HTPC machine is the way to go. These little tiny boxes they're selling are just a little TOO weak, if you know what I mean. And I doubt you'd be able to keep any them pirating off of Bit Torrent very satisfactorily. Bit torrent is a RAM and bandwidth hog (you know, try to open your email with it running).

So I've found that most people's unused old computer collecting dust in the closet makes a better HTPC than any of the tiny boxes - better CPU, better RAM, sometimes even a better GPU, and it's free because it's just sitting there in the closet.

An HTPC needs surprisingly little power to run real fast. They don't have any heavy computational tasks, just what it takes to run an app, whether it's Kodi or Plex or what have you. And then you need a GPU competent enough to play some video - not remotely as demanding as playing a game. I mentioned a video card upgrade and a guy wanted to hit me, saying the graphics engine in my processor was already way better than I needed.

As for Plex vs Kodi, I've used Plex before, but it was a few years ago and they've changed a lot since then. The problem I had back then was that it couldn't handle some formats, or sometimes if a file was a bit corrupt, like it could play on my PC no problem, but it was corrupt enough that Plex couldn't transcode it. No biggie, right?

Except that then Plex would get locked up, I couldn't kill the file orgy stop Plex, and my CPU and fan would both be screaming. The only thing I could do was go to End Task and kill Plex entirely.

Needless to say, this gotta old really fast and out went Plex. I haven't tried it since. I did get pretty excited when I read about Kodi, though everyone says it's harder to use Kodi as a media server like Plex, but that it can be done with just a bit of know how. When I look at all of the other things Kodi can do that Plex can't, I figure it's worth whatever effort it takes to configure a server.

And the hood news is that Emby now plugs into Kodi, and Emby has a server plugin itself, so how hard could it be?

Guess I'm going to find out, but if you've already found your way through this tangle, let me know because I'm just getting started myself.

Dan

I_Like_Games

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014

How did you set up Kodi as a stand-alone media server. I would like not having to run different programs and implementing them within each other so just one do-it-all server/media centre is what I'm looking for

So do you think its better to get 1 Standalone HTPC for around $500 than 2 x Raspberry Pis ( one for KODI, one for Bittorrent) and an external hard drive for around $300?

Josh Nelson

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
I don't know if you have boughten anything yet but I'm using the new Nvidia shield Android TV set top box, running kodi, utorrent, plex anything on Android really. It's very simple and very fast

EBorodin

Estimable
Jan 9, 2016
I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm cutting the cord, ordered roku3, have a large media library myself (several large EHDs.) I had never even thought of a dedicated HTPC but it would be lovely to have and I have two strong laptops that I've been meaning to fix. Now's the time, many thanks MasterHiFi! I was set on plex, but upon looking at Kodi it seems to have some different features. Either will stream my media (or through roku), but there's something else that I can't seem to find anything on. There are a number of 'television stations' which are hosted only on the internet (internet protocol television); I read somewhere I could stream iptv from computer to my set via Kodi, but I can't seem to find anything to verify that. I do have an html cord, but I haven't figured out how to send a stream from my laptop to my tv, so if I can do it via Kodi that would be great. (In case it is significant, I'm getting rid of my 10yo router, and getting the Archer c7 wireless wrt so I can encrypt my router; I always use a vpn.) I'll take any suggestions, comments or caveats!