Hulu May Require Cable Subscription For Free Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

BS they are trying to commit suicide. This will force many that had a free alternative to go back to pirating.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
They should be happy with the money they are receiving; many users will simply resort to downloading in lieu of using the service.

It is crazy to me how much money is thrown around on contrived ratings, and demographics; social engineering at its finest.

Proof:
Firefly - 1 season
Jersey Shore - 5ish?

Can we just have a global systemic meltdown already? Im ready for my desert roving, and razor sharp boomerang.

spasmolytic46

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Remember when Comcast bought in to NBC and they told us it would be good for consumers? Ha, suckers always fall for that unregulated capitalism BS.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Screw you Hulu, I cancelled my cable service several years ago and have absolutely no intention WHATSOEVER of going back. If you're going to require me to have cable to use your site, I'll pirate stuff instead (as if they always forget about that option that consumers have when making these decisions).

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Plasmid[/nom]In other news Hulu goes bankrupt and the C.E.O cries himself to sleep that day :|[/citation]

Hulu may go but I am 100% sure the CEO and upper management are well taken care off.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
The big fear for cable companies is that users are trying to "cut the cord," watching their favorite content online instead of using a cable box.
Well no ####, that's the whole reason many people have gone this route. For roughly $9 a month, Netflix and Hulu pretty much fill the void left by overpriced cable/satellite TV. I want to watch what I want and preferably when I want, why would I want to support and pay for the other 3/4 of the programming that is absolutely useless?

cTs Corvette

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
To a certain extent, they already do this. If you want to watch FOX programming, you get this message: If you are a DISH Network or Verizon FiOS TV subscriber, you can connect to Hulu and watch new episodes of FOX shows the day after they air on TV. Otherwise, episodes will be available on Hulu.com 8 days after they air on TV.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Why would anyone even use Hulu if they had a cable tv subscription in the first place?

Why stream it if you can either watch it live or DVR and watch it whenever you feel like it?

Not to mention it's like pretty much all the garbage on Hulu is just free to air programs from NBC and such anyway.

So why not buy a good TV antenna and if you don't want to watch them live setup a HTPC to record them so watch them whenever?

I fail to see how Hulu would think this is a good idea doesn't it somewhat contradict the whole purpose of Hulu in the first place?

Wasn't it originally intended to be free to begin with and paid for thru advertising revenue or subscription fees to watch it ad free?

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]sanirudh[/nom]This is good news - I don't mind paying for cable and having Hulu.[/citation] You all ready can and could I don't get what your saying at all.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]They should be happy with the money they are receiving; many users will simply resort to downloading in lieu of using the service.It is crazy to me how much money is thrown around on contrived ratings, and demographics; social engineering at its finest.Proof:Firefly - 1 seasonJersey Shore - 5ish?Can we just have a global systemic meltdown already? Im ready for my desert roving, and razor sharp boomerang.[/citation]
There is good news:
Frontline - 29 seasons
American Experience - 24 seasons
Nature - 30 seasons
Nova - 38 seasons
All are available online at the PBS website.

obsama1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
So I need Hulu Plus for $10 to stream to a mobile device, and suffer ads, and I can't watch it from a BB PlayBook/HP Touchpad/GTV, etc.? Now I need a cable subscription?! Keep digging that hole deeper Hulu.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
so ancient systems... lol seams 3rd world.
My provider already has a streaming service for many years. thousands of complete series and films. all for free. included in the subscription. and they are even available on pc tablets and smarthphones too. and for free too.
no need for hulu and all that crap.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
I disagree with this article, i am one of those people who cut the cord and get all my content via a combo of Hulu, ]Netflix, and HBOgo.

I for one will never go back to cable

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Canceled netflix when they doubled the price. Paid for a hulu plus commercial until I realized I REFUSE TO PAY FOR COMMERCIALS. now's its amazon prime (because I use prime for work) and pirating. Sucks really, I liked buying movies on DVD before they screwed this whole system up. HD-DVD was a better/more open choice but don't worry 3 million customers just got pissed on, in the face. EZTV.IT use it and love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.