I connected my samsung sound bar to my Sharp Aquos TV with an optical cable. The sound bar works for my Blue ray and my FireSt

Alison_5

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016
I connected my Samsung sound bar to my Sharp Aquos TV with an optical cable. The sound bar works for my Blue ray and my FireStick but I get nothing from the DirecTV connection all components are connected the same way with HDMI cables. What am I doing wrong?

Alison_5

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016

I only use the one HDMI cable from the DirecTV box to the TV. Audio works through the TV speakers. Audio will not play through the sound bar. The sound does not come through the sound bar on any channel.

You are a difficult patient. :D

Then it doesn't make sense. Components do not control where its audio goes. It it comes from HDMI (which it should), then it's up to the TV what do with it, and why would the TV discriminate if it comes from BluRay or DirectTV? Illogical!

I sense this is one of those problem that if I see it live, I would say something like "what? how come you have this connection here? and you go, isn't it how it works? and I go, well, I can't really tell you this is wrong but is not standard, so let me hook things up this OTHER way, and BAM! But I am not there :( so I don't know what else to say.

Yukonewf

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
I have the same problem. All my connections are correct. I have the digital out of the Sharp LC-37D62U tv connected to the digital in via Toslink on the Samsung HW-K430 sound bar. I have been through every setting in the TV menu as well as the sound bar and I still cannot get audio. The sound bar works fine with Bluetooth off my iPhone so I know the unit works. The light coming through the supplied Toslink cable is dim yet I can find no way to boost the signal from the TV. Is my TV too old (purchased in 2007)? It has all the required connections but seemingly no signal. Am I missing something in setting up the TV menus?
I have wasted a day trying to figure this out and may just go back to my original 5.1 set up. I really want to eliminate components, wires, and visual clutter.

Mac762

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016

I'm sure you have this resolved by now but I just ran into this. This is entered in case someone else new stumbles into this issue.

I tried Both Optical Digital Cable and HDMI from Samsung HW-K450 to Aquos with Aquos speaker settings in both Fixed and Variable Mode. No combination worked. Finally called Sharp and they advised that if Directtv Box is connected to Aquos via HDMI, that connection will override HDMI the soundbar. It apparently also overrides Optical Digital Cable as well.

I was further advised the solution for connection is from RCA jack at Aquos to 3.5mm pin at Soundbar. For me, it does resolve the issue. However the Auto On/Off function will not work with this connection. That only works when in D.IN mode on Soundbar which is the mode used for HDMI and ODC Connections. Therefor you ou will need to turn both Aquos and Soundbar on separately with their respective remotes. Then set Aquos speakers to variable and soundbar works as is typical. The soundbar will turn off after 5 min of no signal. So at least there's that.

Mac

Dec 23, 2018

Dec 27, 2018