I have been RAT'd (remote access Trojan) recently I need help. Please.

ryuplus

Estimable
May 18, 2015
Like stated in the title I have been RAT'd recently and they did something to my main programs that I use. The icon looks like this and I have no idea what is means http://i.gyazo.com/4f1a8493399a48e079bc99023bb0a3ad.png. Please help. Anything is appreciated.

Solution
If someone installed a remote access program on your system, your best course of action is to do a full re-installation of Windows with deleting and re-formatting the partition. Also make sure you do a full virus scan on any secondary drives.

That icon is just the default icon Windows uses when it does not know what program the shortcut opens in, or it could simply mean the icon was changed or the file it goes to was removed and the icon cache was cleared not saving the old icon image.
If someone installed a remote access program on your system, your best course of action is to do a full re-installation of Windows with deleting and re-formatting the partition. Also make sure you do a full virus scan on any secondary drives.

That icon is just the default icon Windows uses when it does not know what program the shortcut opens in, or it could simply mean the icon was changed or the file it goes to was removed and the icon cache was cleared not saving the old icon image.

Solution

Sophiasoni

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
I Agree with hang-the-9

Typical antivirus scanners are less likely to detect RATs because of binders and intruder encryption routines. If you think your system affected with Trojan then firstly

Step 1: Open task manager of your system by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc then find the Trojan process and stop it.
Step2: Open your systems control panel and uncheck on hide protected operating system files.
Step 3 : Open your systems registry editor by pressing (Windows+R) key and then type regedit in the RUN window
Step 4 : find all Trojan related registry value and delete them.
Step 5 :Now perform a complete system scan with your antivirus program
Step 6 : If you didn’t have any commercial antivirus program in your system for Trojan virus infection then , consider free ones from Malewarebytes, Immunet ,Avast, Avira or McAfee to prevent future infections.