I need a way around my lack of audio outs.

pieterhuysken

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
I have a Samsung 32" LED TV with two HDMI inputs and I was recently given an excellent 5.1 channel surround sound receiver. I unfortunately have no way to hook this receiver up to my TV or other electronics due to my television's lack of audio outputs. I know what I'm doing, too, and there's no 1/8" out, RCA out, optical out, or ARC on the HDMI channel. Does anyone know where I could solder in a speaker wire on the board in my tv to make a makeshift audio out? Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Solution
You can solder a speaker to line level adapter like this
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.html
directly to the speaker terminals of the TV. You can disconnect the internal speakers or install a switch to give you the option of using them or not. If the receiver only has optical input however you will need an ADC like this
http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B00AYAHILK
It sound like your receiver was actually part of a home theater in a box rather than a stand alone unit.

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
you don't need an audio out if you have an "excellent 5.1 channel surround receiver" - just use the receiver as the switcher and plug all devices via HDMI if possible into it, and then only one HDMI out to the TV

what receiver is it? make/model?

example...
PS3 - HDMI to RCVR
PS3 - Toslink to RCVR
HD SAT - HDMI to RCVR
Apple TV - HDMI to RCVR
Apple TV - 3.5mm to RCVR

HDMI OUT RCVR to TV

also be sure to turn down the volume on the TV to zero

if you have a receiver i agree that it would be better to point all sources into the receiver.

if you currently use your own televisions tuner you could always buy an external tuner box and plug that as an input into the receiver.

that is far preferable than trying to solder anything onto the tv which could result in destroying it.

pieterhuysken

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
While I agree that your solution seems the most viable Dingo, this RCVR has only one HDMI out, nd RCA audio in, and a digital optical audio in. It was intended for use with a TV equipped with an ARC on at least one HDMI channel or a TV with some sort of audio out, which I have discovered has caused much grief among other owners of the Samsung UN32EH4002FXZA. Alabalcho, I suppose I should better find a Samsung forum to ask this question on. Ssdx, I am a certified sound engineer as well as a very experienced in building a range of things from computers to speakers from scratch, I therefore have no fear in soldering foreign items into my TV, so long as I know where and where not to solder. Thank you all for quick responses!
Sidenote: The two HDMI inputs that I am using are my Xbox and the box provided for me by Charter for my cable service.

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Now I'm confused... you only have two devices that use HDMI, both can be plugged into the receiver INPUTs, and the OUT of the RCVR goes to the TV INPUT 1
why can't that be done? are you using the TV as a speaker and want to keep doing that? I don't get it...

You can solder a speaker to line level adapter like this
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.html
directly to the speaker terminals of the TV. You can disconnect the internal speakers or install a switch to give you the option of using them or not. If the receiver only has optical input however you will need an ADC like this
http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B00AYAHILK
It sound like your receiver was actually part of a home theater in a box rather than a stand alone unit.

Solution

pieterhuysken

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
Dingo, there NO inputs other than the ones I mentioned (RCA and digital optical). Americanaudiophile, you're correct about the home theater thing. I asked the friend that gave to me this morning how he had had it hooked up and he said that it was from a complete system he bought a few months ago and he blew the speakers very quickly... he's not very intelligent. I'll give those websites a look and see what I can figure out and then I'll let you know!