I want to hook up my soundbar to my PC and I want to make sure I am using the right cable

Xboxerj

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2015
Good morning. I currently have a Windows 10 PC and I have an older Logitech speaker system connected through a 3.5mm jack. I upgraded my soundbar and want to connect my older LG soundbar to my PC. The only input on my soundbar is for an optical cable which wasn't a problem when I bought it. I found a cable on Amazon which lets you go from 3.5mm jack to optical but I'm not exactly sure this will work like I think. Is it really that simple or am I reaching on this one? It's a good sound bar and worlds above the speakers I have now. Here is a link to the cable I am looking at http://

Thanks in advance and I appreciate your time.

DRagor

Estimable
Jan 23, 2017
Solution

cryoburner

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
That's not a regular 3.5mm jack on that cable, but rather a mini-toslink connector. Both ends are still optical (just a strand of clear fiber optic cable), so it would only work if the 3.5mm jack served dual-purpose as an optical out jack as well. Unless your motherboard or soundcard supports optical out, you would need an active converter that can output an optical signal. If it's a desktop computer, do you happen to know what model of motherboard it has?

Edit: Yep, something like DRagor linked to. Just make sure the one you get has optical on the output end. Of course, if your computer happens to natively support optical out, then you would just need a compatible cable.

Xboxerj

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2015
It is a Dell XPS 8700 desktop. It is about 3 and a half years old. It does not have an optical output connection. Is there a way to add a picture to this post as I took a photo of the back of the PC to show the available connections. I clicked on the Control P to add the picture but it asks for the URL. The photo is stored on my PC itself. Also, as far as the adaptor DRagor referenced I don't seem to have those connections on the back. Thank you to all who have responded so far.

cryoburner

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
That converter box takes an analog stereo signal from the two red and white RCA cable connections, and outputs optical over the toslink connection. You would need to connect it to one of the 3.5mm jacks on your computer using a cable with RCA connectors on the one end and a 3.5mm connector on the other end, something like this...
https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-Cable-Auxiliary-Stereo-Splitte/dp/B071R4R5B8

You might even have a cable like that already, as they sometimes come with devices like digital cameras to output video and audio to a television.

Xboxerj

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2015
I had thought of just picking up a new Logitech speaker system but I knew I had the extra soundbar. It was one thing when I was going to just buy a cable but now with the converter box and the cable we are already close to $19. Here is the one I was looking at, for the extra $10 I am beginning to wonder if it would just be worth it to pick this up http://

Besides if I use the converter as well as the sound bar I will have to have 2 outlets available to power them both up.