i7 720QM laptop overheating

Jupitah

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Its an old laptop. Anyway the first time i boot it up it was overheating and shuts down by itself. I took it apart and cleaned the fans etc and repasted the cpu and gpu. Idling temperatures are around 70c.. just playing a youtube video heats it up to 85c.. i cant seem to figure why its still overheating.

Laptop is a HP Pavilion dv3
i7 720QM 1.6GHZ
4gb ddr3 ram
Radeon HD 5450m
Windows 7 Ult

Thank you for sparing your time

Solution
depends on the pipe. if the black is the heat paint (that some performance pipes have), then its there to help conduct the heat. If it isnt paint, then it could be a sign that the copper pipe has oxidised (dead) and therefore the reason for over heating.

note that not many pipes are painted because its a greater benifit to see the pipe for checking for oxidation degradation.

Jupitah

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

I have just repasted the cpu and gpu. I cleaned the fans and heatsinks. Fan wasnt dead when i put everything back together. these temperatures were taken right after repasting.

ZRace

Prominent
May 12, 2017

What thermal paste did you use? did you make sure to put on enough and apply it properly? (not saying I doubt you know how to do it, just asking whether you're sure everything was done right)

Did you also remove dust from the heatspreader(s)?

Maybe the fans, while still turning, are broken in the way they don't go up to full speed anymore?

SoggyTissue

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
it was new paste? the cpu uses a heat pipe + fan arrangement? old pipes can degrade.
have you tried going into bios and disabling hyperthreading (i know that sounds silly but it can drop the cpu temp).

Jupitah

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
The thermal paste used was the Arctic MX4 (new paste). Yes, ive applied it properly, covered all the surfaces of the cpu & gpu. Yes, ive cleaned the heatspreader using compressed air. Ill look into the bios about this hyperthreading option.

Jupitah

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

The heatpipe is actually black in colour.. like from the cpu bracket to the middle of the heatpipe. the remaining end still shows the copper colour. its not broken snapped or anything.. just.. black.. could this be the problem ? :??:

SoggyTissue

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
depends on the pipe. if the black is the heat paint (that some performance pipes have), then its there to help conduct the heat. If it isnt paint, then it could be a sign that the copper pipe has oxidised (dead) and therefore the reason for over heating.

note that not many pipes are painted because its a greater benifit to see the pipe for checking for oxidation degradation.

Solution