IE Web Browser Market Share Increases, Chrome Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellarpc

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Chrome is slipping because people fear they are collecting too much personal data... That said I'm posting this using chrome. The free web browser isn't as free as it once was

Chairman Ray

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I think this may be because of the influx of people getting Windows 8 OS or surfaces, and just sticking to the default browser.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Removing great features never to be seen again with no explanations, adding mostly useless stuff like apps page, cluttering up what used to be a clean interface, as said collecting to much personal information, and my personal favorite over the last few versions...... Forcing updates. What does that get you? People trying other alternatives.

apache_lives

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
[citation][nom]ellarpc[/nom]Chrome is slipping because people fear they are collecting too much personal data... That said I'm posting this using chrome. The free web browser isn't as free as it once was[/citation]

People use facebook and google.com -- Chrome is the least of there concerns

[citation][nom]Chairman Ray[/nom]I think this may be because of the influx of people getting Windows 8 OS or surfaces, and just sticking to the default browser.[/citation]

Remember -- Windows RT you CANNOT use a third party browser aka Windows RT = IE

I say this is all down to Windows 8 sales -- you gotta use IE to get Chrome right?

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
chrome is FAR worse[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]People use facebook and google.com -- Chrome is the least of there concerns[/citation]
FALSE
chrome spys on EVERYTHING you do on the internet, including your facebook use and including your google.com use and including everything else you do.
google also built a keylogger into google chrome (the address bar).

here's a bit on how google defines 'anonomyzing user data'
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/12/google_ip_anonymization

"In telling the world Google will anonymize user IPs after only nine months, Google has appeased EU regulators. At least in part. But it looks like Mountain View's new policy is just another example of Google Privacy Theatre.

On Monday evening, when Google deputy counsel Nicole Wong trumpeted the new nine month policy to Silicon Valley's Churchill Club, she said the company was still mulling "the implementation details." But later in the week, the company outlined its plan with a few terse sentences tossed CNet's way.

After nine months, the company has confirmed with The Reg, Google will "change some of the bits" in the user IPs stored in its server logs. But as the plan stands now, it will leave cookie data alone.

This means the missing bits are easily retrieved."

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
IE10 , like it or not, is the fastest and the smoothest of all browsers on the market at the moment. This coming from an Opera fan.

beppomarx

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Tom's should do another web browser comparison on win7 now that ie10 is out. I am a chrome user and have been for quite a while but lately it has gone downhill and after playing with ie10 I may switch as well. It has definitely made a comeback as fracas speed and stability that's for sure. I am curious as to its HTML5 performance, I see that becoming much more important in the next year.

Note I must use ie for work related website access so I do use both browsers daily.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]this is all down to Windows 8 sales -- you gotta use IE to get Chrome right?[/citation]
Funny, this kind of article poses 2 seperate fanboi arguements against each other

1) Windows 8 is fail
2) IE is fail

If IE share goes up if is either because the usage of Windows 8 has increased, so it's NOT fail - or the usage of IE on other OSs has increased, so that is NOT fail - either way people are slowly leaning back towards Microsoft

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
IE10 is a reasonably good browser, completive with anything else on the market. Say what you will about the new Windows interface, the underlying code Microsoft is writing has improved dramatically over the last few years. You might not agree with their choices, but their focus on performance and security has improved dramatically.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
The last 2 versions of chrome have seemed to be a little buggy in my experience.
Its sad to say I have encountered more than a few times where a button or link flat out wont work in chrome and I when I switch over to IE it works just fine.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Cryio[/nom]IE10 , like it or not, is the fastest and the smoothest of all browsers on the market at the moment. This coming from an Opera fan.[/citation]

QFT...although one would expect "smoothness" as MS knows its own OS better than anybody else. Sort of like MSE vs other av software.

If only there were a free ad-blocking extension for IE10...Simple AdBlock seems to be the only game in town, and it costs like $20 or so.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I HATE Chrome so much. Where are all the preferences and settings? How do you print background colors and remove print headers? I've got tons of questions and problems just using the stupid browser. And don't even get me started on their constant nagging to try and get me to log in so I can be tracked. I avoid that POS browser like the plague. IE9/10 are excellent to be perfectly honest, I use IE and FF... everything else can piss off.

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
[citation][nom]Chairman Ray[/nom]I think this may be because of the influx of people getting Windows 8 OS or surfaces, and just sticking to the default browser.[/citation]

Ok, but look at the small share of IE10 (the version on Windows 8/RT). Unless those were mostly Chrome converts, I don't know if that explains all of it.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
If anything it should be FireFox that's losing ground. Easily, imo, the biggest pain of the big 3. Constant microupdates, weird glitches and it seems to me like both IE9/10 and Chrome are more efficient.

Either way, looks like the Scroogled campaign is taking root. I wonder if a "Firefucked" campaign is next on the chopping block. Spending money on smear campaigns ALWAYS nets solid returns :/

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I've been using FF for about 8 years or so, then I decided to give IE10 a shot. I have to admit, it is quick and nice looking. I'll probably use both browsers, but MS definitely did some catching up with IE10.

Status
Not open for further replies.