Solved! If you burn a 720p movie to a dvd and play it in a dvd player does it play at 72

Status
Not open for further replies.

babs_77

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
if you burn a 720p or 1080i movie to a dvd and play it in a progressive dvd player does it play at 720p? or 480p? in a bluray at 720p? 1080i? I am told you can't burn more than 480p to a regular dvd, but I thought I did. I was told that in order to get HD you had to burn to bluray? true or false?

Solution
As far as I know, if you burn it in such a way that it plays as a regular DvD in a bog-standard DvD player then it is limited to whatever that format would normally put out.

If you directly burn the file (the .Avi or whatever) and have a device (e.g. PS3) that can access and play that file, then it should play at whatever resolution the file is encoded.

MockingbirdUK

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
As far as I know, if you burn it in such a way that it plays as a regular DvD in a bog-standard DvD player then it is limited to whatever that format would normally put out.

If you directly burn the file (the .Avi or whatever) and have a device (e.g. PS3) that can access and play that file, then it should play at whatever resolution the file is encoded.

Solution

lehighace06

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
mockingbird is right, if you have a sd-dvd in a sd-dvd player you'll get an sd picture. if you have a 720p quality avi file on a dvd as a data file rather than a 'dvd' and use a player capable of 720p transmission then it'll be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.