Impossible-to-fix audio problem; at my wit's end

hashfan

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
Ok, so; I cleaned out my computer with a spray duster. I removed surface dust off of all of the parts and their connectors. After finishing, my computer didn't start up and used beep codes to tell me there was a problem with the graphics card. Easily fixed; just didn't place it in correctly.

However, since then, my audio has stopped working. Windows does not recognize when I plug a device into the audio jacks (both front & back) There is no notification telling me that I plugged in a device. This is true for multiple devices; this isn't just a case of a pair of headphones gone bad. All of my other peripherals work, though. (mouse, keyboard, Blue Snowball microhpone)

This is what my audio playback looks like:
http://imgur.com/a/YsCDN

Only contains 6 instances of AMD's high definition audio device

Device manager:
http://imgur.com/a/ZaCwp

System specs + motherboard:
http://imgur.com/a/mezhr

I'd just like to use my new Steelseries Siberia V3 headphones :)
Any and all help is appreciated.

Here's what I've tried:

• Windows audio troubleshoot
    Enabling/disabling the onboard audio
    Uninstalling all audio drivers + installing new drivers from respective manufacturers
    Reinstalling the graphics card
    Removing all traces of AMD's audio through RegEdit, the drivers folder in Sys32 and their uninstall utility (it keeps reinstalling itself with every restart)
    Using both front and back audio jacks
    Verifying that Window's audio service and its reliabilities are enabled and working

Solution
When I installed my Radeon card (which incorporates an HD audio chip) I made sure to use "custom install" option and deselected the audio drivers because I wanted to continue using my motherboard's Realtek sound chip.

No problems at all doing that.

Since you've already installed the entire AMD package, you need to uninstall it completely and start over like a first time install - - - but leave out the audio drivers this time.

hashfan

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016

I've tried this and just tried it again, your way. Didn't work. Thanks, though :)

dudio

Admirable
You're using onboard audio then?
Looks like it's only seeing an AMD graphics card with HiDef audio?
If you don't plan on using the HD audio out from the graphics card, you should not even install it.
What I'd do if you are trying to use onboard sound, is to download the Realtek drivers for your motherboard (not sure what version of Windows you have) here : http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/980DE3U3S3/?cat=Download

After that, reset the BIOS, and on boot up, install the Realtek drivers

boju

Distinguished
Yeah those AMD high definition devices in your audio playback is the graphic's card hdmi/Displayport audio. I noticed the scroll bar has a bit further down to go, no sign of analog speakers as shown in pic below?

recording_device5.png

hashfan

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
I understand that. However, I followed some steps from someone that had the exact problem and managed to fix it. I didn't break anything :)

hashfan

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016

I didn't install them. AMD's card include those drivers, and they reinstall themselves after deletion on restart. They can apparently replace Window's drivers sometimes, which is why I've been uninstalling them. Doesn't appear to be the problem now, though. Anyway, I tried what you said and I was notified on start-up that the drivers had been successfully installed, but my headphones still aren't detected :/

When I installed my Radeon card (which incorporates an HD audio chip) I made sure to use "custom install" option and deselected the audio drivers because I wanted to continue using my motherboard's Realtek sound chip.

No problems at all doing that.

Since you've already installed the entire AMD package, you need to uninstall it completely and start over like a first time install - - - but leave out the audio drivers this time.

Solution