Inspiron 5748 keyboard stopped working

Jrnail88

Estimable
Nov 3, 2015
The keyboard on my Inspiron 17 5000 (5748) took a small spill. Stopped working for two days but some of the keys started to come back, ordered a replacement keyboard and tried to install it and now neither of them work again. Have tried updating the Bios, drivers, uninstalling it, resetting the CMOS, diagnostics etc, nothing works at all. No hardware errors either. Only the caps lock light will work when hit on an external keyboard. Think I am at the end of my options any suggestions before moving on to an external?

Hi,

Please do try some of these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Check keyboard language settings.
- Open Control Panel and look for Region and Language.
- Check all tabs if they are all set to United States.
- If that doesn't work try pressing those following keys which are not working using your onscreen keyboard
- Press Windows + R at the same time and type "osk" then press Enter to open the Onscreen keyboard
- Connect an external keyboard and see if the same problem will persist because if does you may need to consider on doing a complete Factory Reset cause it's a problem with your operating system.
- If all those keys are working just fine it's time to replace the keyboard.

Jrnail88

Estimable
Nov 3, 2015

Thanks for the reply, tried all of that but it still doesnt work. When I started up my laptop earlier the keyboard started working again albeit with malfunctioning keys, but cut out sometime after that. I have already tried to install a replacement keyboard off of ebay but to no avail. Nothing in device manager or on the start up diagnostic is signalling an error on the part of the motherboard. Dell is sending me a free replacement keyboard under my warranty, but I dont have high hope it will solve the problem.
Thanks for your advice tho

ffg7

Splendid
sounds like the ribbon cable from the keyboard to the motherboard is not seated all the way in on the motherboard connector. try reseating the cable again & keyboard itself can sit ontop off the laptop for testing purposes til you get it working right. it happened to me a couple of times.

Jrnail88

Estimable
Nov 3, 2015

I have already tried that a couple of times. I installed a new replacement keyboard sent in from dell, still only works periodically(despite caps lock light working all the time so it has power). When it does work however, all the keys work fine minus the space bar and keys v,b,n,m, which all type in doubles. This is strange to me because its on a replacment keyboard and not the orginal. Im convinced that something is wrong with the motherboard connector itself but i dont want to spend the money to send it in over just simply going with an external kb from here on out. Thanks tho