installing xp on notebook

jojo_stagione

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
Hello,

I have got a Asus X70-KR notebook and want to install xp on it.
Only I cant save the boot priority in the bios, so my question is : how to install xp without setting the boot priority to cd/dvd ?

I already tried installing xp when in vista, but that does not work.

With vista I had the same problem but then found out that when you press F9 when pc just booted.
Does xp also have this kinda solution ?

BeakerUK

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
if it's not booting from the CD then I would suggest the actual disk is the problem. If you have the option to select devices rather than just change the order then change all the boot options to CD, and change them back to HDD later on. Also, I would seriously suggest slipstreaming the drivers for your notebook onto the XP disk before you start installing it all. You've no Floppy on the laptop, and you'll need to get the SATA drivers etc on there.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
What do you mean, "can't save"? Are you saying that after you make the change and save your settings, when you go back to the BIOS the boot order is back to what it was before? That realy doesn't make sense. . . usually ATAPI has boot priority by default.

jojo_stagione

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
I dont think so because i can set a password in the bios (supervisor password) and also a password for locking the hdd.

Oh, by the way. When I set a password on locking the hdd, xp installer does start, but I dont think that xp will write stuff on the hdd because of the lock.

I want to test if I can do it with the hdd lock, but I dont want to mess up the notebook. Can I try this without messing up the notebook ?