Intel CPU Help

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
I have a Satellite C655-S5212 that I was wanting to upgrade the CPU in.
It has a Socket G2 / Socket rPGA988B fitted with an Core i3-2310M currently.
When I look up processors with that socket it is showing both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors. See Here.

My question is will this laptop support an Ivy Bridge processor as long as it is within the wattage rating or am I limited to the Sandy Bridge line up?

Feb 2, 2014
the socket may be compatable but the cpu is soldured to the motherboard if you want to upgrade you will have to get a new motherboard with a new prossesor which is really difficult and expensive if i were you i would not even try especially if you do not know what you are doing.

i hope this helped.

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

The CPU is not soldered to the motherboard and can be replaced.

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
you have to find out exactly what motherboard you have and see if the CPU youre looking for will be compatible. The CPU may fit the socket, but it might not work.

"Although all microprocessors from the table below physically fit into the socket, not all of them may be supported by your motherboard. "

Socket compatibility and system BIOS limitations are the two biggest things to consider. TDP is worth noting but if the laptop's design doesn't accommodate a higher TDP from the CPU, you can try a few modifications to help with heat transfer. If the BIOS supports the CPU upgrade in question you should be able to upgrade to another Ivy Bridge CPU. Haswell is a different socket so you are limited to the third generation of Core series CPUs.

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

This is the Mobo. It appears to be a hannstar j mv-4 94v-0

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
hubertkocur1337 Laptop Tech Support 2
Jabeabus Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 1
MY13s Laptop Tech Support 0
W Laptop Tech Support 0
Emils0497 Laptop Tech Support 2