Internet Explorer 9 Will Never Work on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Looks like Micro$haft is favouring the stick over the carrot, in forcing users on their latest and greatest version of Windows. Mind you, it was only a matter of time before they made Windows XP the "neglected, chained to the basement red-headed step child."

G

Fine with me, I'll continue to use any web browser that isn't IE just so I don't have to be forced to upgrade.

haftarun8

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
It may have to do with how IE9 is offloading the actual rendering to the GPU? I know that's possible with XP but maybe not the way they're trying to implement it? Excuse to leave XP or no, I'm enjoying Windows 7 and can't wait to check this out when it's actually in Beta.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I'm confused, why is this a big deal? Can't we let our beloved legacy rest in peace? Fond memories may abound, but the only XP I use anymore is a hacked up mutant abomination XP-on-a-stick for booting new builds to make sure they work before sending them out.

thedipper

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Of course they're trying to make people stop using XP. XP support is only costing them money at this point, those deveopers could be located elsewhere, doing something that actually makes sense, rather than providing support code for an outdated OS.

Users on really old machines running XP are hurting the entire computing industry.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I think haftarun8 is correct in that IE9 needs the new rendering feature in Vista SP2 and higher. The IE9 Platform Preview's demos are interesting. (And SVG-oids is even addictive!)

esquire468

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]noodlegts[/nom]Good. It's about time that people stopped using XP.I still can't believe computers still run that OS. It's 10 years old![/citation]

Many non-tech related businesses, including where I work, still use XP as there is simply no reason to upgrade. It never made any sense (financially and technologically, both on software side and the hardware side) to upgrade to Vista, and to upgrade to Windows 7 would be expensive, and it is still somewhat premature to adopt a fairly new OS. Most businesses do not adopt a new OS until after the first SP.

dbowlin17

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
the only issue with xp is the ability to install programs without permission. just because it is 10 years old doesn't mean that it is bad or anything... there are some people in this world who don't actually replace everything they own the moment something new is out, or even until their older thing stops working. xp is still a great OS.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
i've converted my parents and their XP machines over to chrome. never looked back
this won't change anything. they wont upgrade OS till they upgrade their hardware

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]noodlegts[/nom]Good. It's about time that people stopped using XP.I still can't believe computers still run that OS. It's 10 years old![/citation]

That must give comfort to the Netbook users who were conned into buying Machines with XP installed three months ago. Way to go Microsoft. Buy a Microsoft Netbook get a brick, or I suppose they could always cough up the extra for Windows7. Rip off or what?

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009

Um no. Things work in XP... and there is no need to upgrade.

arnweb

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Opera 10.50 will run on Windows 2000 (Also Win98 - with some modification). Other browsers will run too. So who cares?
I think this decision will make IE more isolated.

Status
Not open for further replies.