IPS vs VA for general use monitor

Champion2604

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
I'm looking to upgrade my second monitor which is for general use, specifically work and videos.
With a budget of £200 I have been looking at AOC I2769VM (IPS) or Samsung SyncMaster S27C590H (VA) (both 27") as I already have a 27" monitor.
Which would you recommend or do you have an alternative for a similar price?
I should add I already have a Samsung SyncMaster S27C590H as my main monitor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Solution
at 200gbp the only ips you could get is e-ips most likely. to be honest its not much different than va. perhaps a slightly wider viewing angle thats it.

the only ips i consider worth really discussing as being better are the 8bit and 10bit varieties (which are double your budget at minimum).

i would buy another matching monitor to what you already have (a s27c590h) and set it to the same settings. this way you dont have two different looking monitors which can be rather distracting. also you arent really going to miss out on much since e-ips really isnt any better than va.
at 200gbp the only ips you could get is e-ips most likely. to be honest its not much different than va. perhaps a slightly wider viewing angle thats it.

the only ips i consider worth really discussing as being better are the 8bit and 10bit varieties (which are double your budget at minimum).

i would buy another matching monitor to what you already have (a s27c590h) and set it to the same settings. this way you dont have two different looking monitors which can be rather distracting. also you arent really going to miss out on much since e-ips really isnt any better than va.

Solution
e-ips and va are both old technologies. keep in mind that these are also just broad classification of names. some newer va panels would be pva, mva, spva, smva... you get the picture. likewise there might be another ips 6bit panel besides e-ips that i'm not aware of. there are also a few others like pls which might be available for the budget however only the 6bit models

both are also 6bit panels. however, some might be 6bit+frc (frame rate control) which attempts to immitate 8bit (but its really not the same). this would be the only real color accuracy difference (6bit vs 6bit+frc) other than the standard color variations you have between different brands and models.

i prefer to use IPS myself but the 8bit or 10bit versions for the color accuracy.. however they are easily $450+ a monitor at minimum so isnt really even an option here. e-ips really is hard to even classify in the same league as those panels yet people confuse them because it has ips in its name.

--

if the op will be having two monitors side by side of the exact same size it would be better to match the product they have now. settings will be the same and the image will look the same. sometimes if you have two different monitors getting the same brightness, contrast, color temperatures and RGB values can be hard and things can look odd.