Is an Intel HD Graphics card DirectX-9 capable and running at 1024x768 display resolution or better?

davidmwallick

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
Many of the laptops I am looking at for purchase advertise 'Intel HD Graphics'. I need a graphics card that supports DirectX-9 and screen resolution of at least 1024x768.
Does the 'Intel HD Graphics' meet this requirement?

Solution
Intel HD Graphics is not an on-board or dedicated graphics card, it's part of the processor (integrated Graphics Processing Unit). It will display resolutions at 1024 x 768 and well above depending on the processor (and by extension the iGPU) but may require an external monitor to display those resolutions. That said, most 15.4" laptops have a minimum resolution of 1366 x 768, you will find laptops with smaller sceeens that support that resolution. It is capable of Direct X 11 and by extension direct X 9 thanks to backward compatibility. It is capable of low end gaming and the newer chips are more powerful so will probably be capable of something mid level gaming. At least the desktop chips are, I'm not so sure about the laptop...

Nixia

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
Im pretty sure all Intel HD Graphics are DirectX-9 and above, but there are different versions? In is an integrated graphics chip (so it will run very basic games (depending on model) and let you view HD media, but is not designed for gaming).

pauls3743

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Intel HD Graphics is not an on-board or dedicated graphics card, it's part of the processor (integrated Graphics Processing Unit). It will display resolutions at 1024 x 768 and well above depending on the processor (and by extension the iGPU) but may require an external monitor to display those resolutions. That said, most 15.4" laptops have a minimum resolution of 1366 x 768, you will find laptops with smaller sceeens that support that resolution. It is capable of Direct X 11 and by extension direct X 9 thanks to backward compatibility. It is capable of low end gaming and the newer chips are more powerful so will probably be capable of something mid level gaming. At least the desktop chips are, I'm not so sure about the laptop chips as they're always less powerful.

Solution

Mr Burns

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Yes it supports direct x 9 and any screen resolution except maybe higher than 1920x1080.

You will be able to play most games with this setup.

There are some gameplay videos on youtube of highly graphical games being played on intel 4600 hd graphics such as farcry 4 and Battlefield 4 on an i5/i7 processor and all of them run smoothly (around 30 fps).Yes they are on lower graphics settings but the game still looks good.

Game developers understand that there are many laptops and some desktops using intels integrated graphics, so they cant ignore them. They have to cater to the casual gaming audience too, not just the hardcore gamers with thier multi monitor setups getting insane field of view.

As long as you get a laptop with an i3,i5 or i7 and at least 4 gb ram, you will be okay.

Just make sure you get at least the hd 4000 graphics or newer. Anything older will not be able to run modern games, if that is what you are planning on doing.

I recommend the intel 4600 hd graphics if you are planning on playing games.