Oct 14, 2018
My laptop has been freezing. If I do a factory restore and it continues freezing, does this prove there is a hardware problem? there are no viruses,
thanks for your help

Solution
Again, if you do the restore there is no way of knowing if it will still freeze or not. Depends on if it is a problem item that can be removed through the restore. Or if you are running a program or programs that need more resources than the computer has. The only way to know if it will work is to try it.
Oct 14, 2018
thanks for answering, if that's the case, then it's a faulty hard drive basically, still if the factory restore fails for some reason then there must be
a hardware problem(in this case the hard drive), so it would still be true that the computer is damaged if a restore does fail, but if it succeeds, that also means
the hard drive could be faulty which means I might have a faulty laptop even if it seems to work normally,
[strike]that answers my question[/strike]

Try this to check the drive....

1. Go to the "Start" menu and then "Search".
2. Type in "cmd" (without the quotes).
3. From the list it gives right-click on "Command Prompt" and then select to use it as administrator.
4. Now when it loads you want to type in "chkdsk" (again without the quotes).
5. This will just check the disk but it won't fix anything.
6. The parameters for making any repairs, etc. using this command are:

"chkdsk C: /f" (without quotes) This option will attempt to fix any found errors

"chkdsk C: /r" (without quotes) This option will locate for bad sectors and recovery any readable information

"chkdsk C: /x" (without quotes) This option will force the volume you’re about to check to be dismounted before the utility begins a scan.

You can also run it using a combo of them or even all of them, like so... "chkdsk C: /f /r /x" (without quotes).

If the C: drive is in use, type Y to run a scan at your PC’s next restart. If so, exit Command Prompt and restart the computer.

Oct 14, 2018
Thanks, but I'm not trying to fix the laptop, I just want to know if it's damaged if I do factory restore because it could be all sorts of things that take me forever to check out, I've already spent more than enough time being an idiot trying to fix it myself

EDIT: "ok, chkdsk showed 0 bad sectors."

Again, if you do the restore there is no way of knowing if it will still freeze or not. Depends on if it is a problem item that can be removed through the restore. Or if you are running a program or programs that need more resources than the computer has. The only way to know if it will work is to try it.

Solution