Is there a crude way to find out which HDMI cable version I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstrig

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
I'm asking purely for theoretical reasons if there is a way to find out the throughput of the cable if I don't have a printed claim from the manufacturer?

There are services that allow people to test their internet speeds supposedly by downloading and uploading a test file of known size and tracking the time it takes, which allows them to discern the speed of the connection. Do we have something like this to test the speed of an HDMI cable so that I can predict if it is a standard cable or a high speed cable?

Again, this is not a real life problem that I am facing. I am just curious to know. Thank you for any responses.

Solution
It should be printed on the cable. I've just checked a spare one I bought the other day (the very cheapest I could find) and it has printed on it "High Speed HDMI Cable". TBH, I would expect any cable that you buy nowadays to be a high-speed one. If they can make them this cheap why would they bother with a separate process to make lower-speed cables?

Ijack

Distinguished
It should be printed on the cable. I've just checked a spare one I bought the other day (the very cheapest I could find) and it has printed on it "High Speed HDMI Cable". TBH, I would expect any cable that you buy nowadays to be a high-speed one. If they can make them this cheap why would they bother with a separate process to make lower-speed cables?

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.