Is there any way to "delete" a playback or recording device forever? Microphone not working and don't know where else to turn

adepascale

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
So I picked up a Microsoft Surface book 2 a few weeks ago. The microphone was working fine up until a few days ago when I started using headphones to listen to stuff. Ever since then, my microphone doesn't work no matter which device I select in whatever program I'm using to capture audio. Just no sound is being registered at all.

I was taking a look at my recording devices and I noticed that I essentially have 2 devices that have the same "name" as seen here: https://imgur.com/F0Fazre

However, that top most device, the "headset mic" doesn't actually exist. the headphones I am using don't have a microphone built in to them, yet somehow that device is there. I'm not sure how or when it got there, but no matter what I do I seem to be unable to delete it.

My theory is that when I am selecting my input device within whatever program or app I'm using, these conflicting name settings is somehow messing up which device it's trying to use. I only ever "see" one device that I can choose and it is the one that says "Microphone Array (realtek blahblah)"

Has anyone ever seen this before? Or know of a way that I can "delete" that entry in recording devices permanently? I've been at this for hours, deleting, installing drivers, restarting, changing devices. I'm at my wits end, nothing seems to be able to work. Any help or insight would be SUPER appreciated, thank you in advance!

Solution
try going to device manager, the fictitious mic will be under "sound video and game controllers" try and disable it there by right clicking on it and selecting disable.

adepascale

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
Thank you for your answer Mark. Your hunch was 80% correct. While the fictitious mic was't necessarily there, there was a lone entry that just said "realtek high definition audio SST". I uninstalled that and we seem to be back in business! Not sure how it got there, but if anyone else has this same problem there you go.

Thanks again Mark!