Is this Asus laptop able to upgrade its CPU?

some_guy_1

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016
I have an asus laptop, model K53T. The processor is, according to control panel, an AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon HD graphics 1.40 GHz

Is the processor replaceable, or is there any other way to get more CPU?

Solution
Exactly, so instead of being a 1.4GHz CPU it'll be a 1.6GHz one. You can't overclock a 3520M any more than you can a 3400M unfortunately; overclocking is pretty rare in mainstream laptops and yours is no exception.

For these old CPUs I always go straight to eBay, as you'll have a heck of a time trying to find one for a good price elsewhere.

voltoid27

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
All Ax-3xx0M APU's are socketed, so you'll be able to drop in up to an A8-3520M APU in there. That'll get you 200MHz to the base and boost clocks, and a more substantial graphics uplift. That's the best you can do unfortunately :/

some_guy_1

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016

Thanks for the info. "200MHz to the base" means it'll just add a total off 200 MHz to the computer, right? Also, can that processor be overclocked? It seems the current one I mentioned can't overclock, judging by the BIOS settings and AMD Overdrive refusing to install.

Looking for one online, I could only find one on Amazon. I wonder if there's a cheaper place. Newegg doesn't have it.

voltoid27

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
Exactly, so instead of being a 1.4GHz CPU it'll be a 1.6GHz one. You can't overclock a 3520M any more than you can a 3400M unfortunately; overclocking is pretty rare in mainstream laptops and yours is no exception.

For these old CPUs I always go straight to eBay, as you'll have a heck of a time trying to find one for a good price elsewhere.

Solution

robert600

Distinguished
i faced a similar dilemma - and ended up getting an A8-3530. Most folks wouldn't recommend this because it's 45 W and the old one is 35 W. All has been good though - it actually runs cooler now - but .... the fan was very dirty.