GunXpatriot

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
I have an old Gateway M-1624. I don't do much on it anymore, since I have my new FX-8350 build...

Anyway, I usually leave it on all the time and one day, I came back to find it off. This was about 2 weeks ago. After turning it on, I got an error, saying the CPU fan wasn't working. So I ordered a part for under 10 dollars.

I just replaced it. However, I didn't replace any thermal compound. There was just some foil between the cpu and heatsink, so I left it that way.

Now, I turned it on, and it seems it was booting properly. But midway through "Starting Windows", it abruptly shut off... This kind of worries me... It's an old machine, but that doesn't mean I'm not a little alarmed at it crapping out on me...

Anyone know why this could be happening? Could be a short, or something, maybe? The battery is pretty much dead and only lasts long enough to go from upstairs to downstairs, and fairly quickly.

It couldn't have reached a high enough temperature at startup, to not be able to finish and shut off, could it? I left it as it was, though I only removed the heatsink to remove the fan. Could that aggravate anything?

I really hope someone has some advice for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

GunXpatriot

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
Wow, a bad processor? That's pretty rare among bad parts, isn't it? Then again, I've been pushing this thing, at 80-90C for almost 6 years now. Guess it shouldn't surprise me. Either way, I should be able to replace it.

I mean, it's turned off when it gets really hot since I got it, but this was a bit different. And if this is simply a heat issue, and the cpu is still alright... There is the layer of "foil" between the sink/cpu. Should I try and get that off, then apply some compound? Also, how should I go about getting it off the chip without damaging it. I'm reluctant to go in with a knife, or sandpaper and scrape it off! lol

CompTekUSA

Estimable
Sep 19, 2014
I've been a computer tech for about 7 years now, and I've never heard of someone putting foil there. I'd try to rip up as much as possible, and then use a penny, or dime, to get the rest off. It doesn't have to be perfect. As long as you can see approximately half of the processor, you should be fine. Try to aim for getting the center of CPU cleared.

GunXpatriot

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
Hmm... I dunno if I'd describe it as "foil", so much as... Tbh, it almost seems like lead on the outer part, off of the CPU.

I put everything back together, and applied some thermal compound. Some real cheap Chinese stuff that came with the new fan. But now that I've turned it on, everything started up alright. What I did notice, was that the mouse pad is no longer working, though that could just be a glitch. Restarting may help it. Everything is running a decent amount cooler, though, I have to say.

Well, about this foil. I don't think that I'd bother taking a picture of my own situation, as I've already started up and applied compound. However, there is another post on a different forum, that may illustrate what I'm talking about.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/634092-Has-anyone-seen-foil-used-instead-of-heat-sink-compound

That's the post on Overclockers.com. Pic is in the first post seen. Of course, that is on a desktop. But what I found, was quite similar. Except, some of the foil that was on the Heatsink kind of tore off onto the CPU. What I did, was... I took a razor blade and gently shaved the foil off the cpu. No scratches, or anything. I actually scrubbed with an alcohol wipe on a q-tip, to hopefully loosen it up. I repeated the process for the foil on the heatsink, but I wasn't able to get much off. Even still, there was a decent amount of contact between the clean CPU and the copper on the heatsink, so I didn't worry too much. Now, I applied the compound on the CPU as normal.

So the pic you see is different, because the foil is intact, whereas mine tore off a little and stuck to the CPU. But the foily material itself looks similar. But where is broke off on mine, it literally looked like some cheap aluminum foil put between the cpu and the heatsink. Kind of hilarious, actually. Not even the good thick stuff, like Reynold's Wrap, but like, cheap dollar store foil. :)

ACTUALLY... I just found a pic that's a little truer to my situation. Check this out.

http://waynesallee.com/pictures/Penny_Trick/Picture_06.jpg

So, see how on the foil, there's the square where it was pressed on the cpu? Same type of thing, except foil ripped off and the copper was exposed. I'm probably making this extra confusing.

And another thing... Do most laptops run this hot nowadays? I mean, even now, temps are getting to almost 80 C on one of my cores. When watching videos, at least. It's quite hot on the lap, too. And right now, this thing is raised up. I usually hang it off a table to keep it cool enough, or it shuts off.

But these AMD CPU's aren't so efficient, it seems. They use a little more power, and usually underperform. I have an old Intel Pentium III 1.13Ghz Thinkpad T23, and even that doesnt run TOO hot. My only other comparison is my Samsung NC10 netbook, and even on a bed, it runs maybe 50-60c. Then again, the Atom N450 only uses like, under 5 watts? 3, or 4 maybe? And the fan is non-existent on that thing.

Wonder how the new Intel CPU's run. Those low-power 15 or so watt chips. I think the cooling on this thing, is just crappy in general, and isn't even so much the CPU...