Solved! Laptop and 3.5" hdd power

Jul 23, 2018
Im building a HTPC out of 8460p elitebook i5. i have a small sata for OS, and i want to wire a 1tb hdd 3.5 for storage inside. i know what you think. but since i dont have a battery and im building a case for it from scratch as i only have MB CPU and RAM i can fit it in. ALso i made a new thermal block for cpu out of AMD cooler and for chipset also. Using the longer screws i screwed it to the same holes original cooler was so its perfect now im looking for adequate 5v pwm fan to replace the stock one. back to HDD. i know there must be somewhere 12v output on the motherboard. But i was unable to find it due to lack of knowledge. Can anyone help a bit with where to look it would be awsome. Thx in advance

Even if you find 12v to power the 3.5" it may not have enough amperage to do so and you may end up burning up the Mobo. 3.5" drives can take up to 2 amps to start up.

If battery is there and uses 12+v fine use that. If 14v+ or ur running it on AC, typical charger 19v, can wire a 2 amp 3-pin 12v voltage regulator directly.

Even if you find 12v to power the 3.5" it may not have enough amperage to do so and you may end up burning up the Mobo. 3.5" drives can take up to 2 amps to start up.

If battery is there and uses 12+v fine use that. If 14v+ or ur running it on AC, typical charger 19v, can wire a 2 amp 3-pin 12v voltage regulator directly.

Jul 23, 2018

I just hate the performance of 2.5" hdd.. i will have to take the mobo to the shop and have a friend look with instruments what he can feel out. I have a battery but im not using it as it is always on the charger. CHarger is 19 3.75a 65w but i think i have a 90w from the docking station stashed somewhere.
If u dont use the battery can i use the connectors where the battery is if there is proper amount of power and current there?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SirDeafCheese Laptop Tech Support 3
alexandru123123 Laptop Tech Support 1
phosi Laptop Tech Support 11
kursat42 Laptop Tech Support 4
leon black Laptop Tech Support 4
Toma_Tsvetkov Laptop Tech Support 0
Veeb Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 5
Mantonio Laptop Tech Support 1
iamhamza447 Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1