Laptop Asus k53z bbr3 smoked, caught fire and quit charging battery

Zoro97

Estimable
Aug 29, 2015
Worked great for couple of years. Went to plug it in, started smoking and quit charging. I could run it until battery depleted.

Opened it up, on the motherboard visibly burned part AO4468, desoldered it, soldered same new part in, tested it...and again smoked and caught fire. Everything else seems undamaged.

Charging adapter reads 19V. Charging port to the motherboard also reads 19V. (2 red, 2 black)

There are 9 pinouts on the motherboard that go into the battery. Voltage between first 2 and the last 2 bit under 19V. ( these are longer pins so I figured they provide power, not sure about testing the middle 5 pins)

This laptop could never be run plugged in without the battery in place.

Any suggestions?

Bit extra info...on the motherboard this burned part location is labeled as PQ110

Solution
You should probably have the motherboard replaced. There are no OEM replacement parts that you can safely install on your own without supervision or a complete breakdown of the motherboard, the information about which is likely only available to authorized service centers.

metalicgeek

Estimable
You should probably have the motherboard replaced. There are no OEM replacement parts that you can safely install on your own without supervision or a complete breakdown of the motherboard, the information about which is likely only available to authorized service centers.

Solution

Zoro97

Estimable
Aug 29, 2015
Thank you metalicgeek for taking your time to answer. I was hoping to figure out the culprit that makes my small IC catch fire. Never had a computer catch fire....I expected many other parts to fail, but not motherboard...